Why have other than wideband antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterdk

OK, so I'm new and full of questions. Curious about this. I bought a Scantenna antenna that is supposed to be good for frequencies between 30-1300MHz. My question is in what circumstance would I erect a second antenna like a NCG Comet that says it receives 136-175 MHz?
NCG Comet CA-F22GF [CA-F22GF] - $139.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!
If I like to listen to, let's say, Dons Delivery Service, and they broadcast on 150 MHz, would I then benefit by having an antenna that is tuned for that frequency like the one I mention? Or, would I do just as well with my "wideband" antenna that receives 30-1300?
I'm not thinking of buying the above antenna, just trying to grasp the concept. Thanks for enlightening me.
~Don

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
In a word, Gain.

The wide band antenna will recieve ok on any frequency it is designed for, where as an antenna designed for 150-174 will hear farther/pick up weaker signals in that band split than the wide band one.

fineshot1

in a second word i would sum it up as "performance"

a monoband antenna will almost always out perform a multiband antenna
on the monoband antennas freq range.

same concept as having many different types a sneakers - one type for
running, another for soccer players, another for tennis players, etc. etc.

i think you got the idea by now.......

misterdk

So would someone just clamp on a second or third antenna to their mast, providing they had sufficient mast length to work with? And would you then have multiple cables running up to your scanner? Switching them back and forth depending on what you want to hear? Thanks for the education.

talkpair

So would someone just clamp on a second or third antenna to their mast, providing they had sufficient mast length to work with? And would you then have multiple cables running up to your scanner? Switching them back and forth depending on what you want to hear?

that's the way i do it......except instead of a single radio, i have 3 radios.......each individually dedicated only to the range the antenna covers.

if i were living in another part of the country, I might do something very different.....It really depends on what you like to listen to....what band and type of system the agencies of interest are using.

if you want just a single radio, or just getting started, i think a multiband antenna would be the best way to go...This way, you can scout out the airwaves and determine if a more specialized antenna might work better for a weak station....If you are lucky enough to be in an area with mostly repeaters, it's usually a matter of 'you either receive them, or ya don't', whereas monitoring simplex systems can be more challenging. Even with a band-specific antenna, don't expect to catch everything in a simplex system.

fineshot1

that's the way i do it......except instead of a single radio, i have 3 radios.......each individually dedicated only to the range the antenna covers.

or

you could have them all connected into a combiner and the output of the combiner
connected to the scanner. this way you get the most signal strength associated
with each bands antenna routed to your scanner.

scannersnstuff

i know i'm no genius for saying this. if i had my way & resources <space,money>. i'd have a dedicated commercial radio & band specific antenna for every portion of the spectrum that i would like to monitor.
i definetly think that is the way to go. few hobbyists have the time/resources/interest and money to do that. <i guess>.

Status
Not open for further replies.