Why haven't they sourced a new Dongle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

So we all know the app is delayed. Why hasn't Uniden moved on and sourced a new dongle and gotten about the business of solving the problem? It would seem (and I could always be wrong, dead wrong), that they have an awful long time with very little result. Are they stuck in the "we almost have it" loop? Maybe they do, but sometimes you don't and you have to move on.

Also, are us 536HP owners going to see this radio soon replaced? I notice for the last 2+ months the radio "out of stock" on Uniden's website. OK, recall for speaker problems. But come on. we are going on a quarter year+ with low or no stock on their own website. That doesn't sound very healthy to me.

Something is not right with the signs we are seeing here. Maybe it has to do with agreements, contracts, exclusivity agreements, foreign governments etc but when things just don't seem right, there's always a reason. I don't believe for one second that the folks at Uniden responsible for solving these problems just don't care and that's why its taking so long. I think there are other more complicated reasons involved.

Unfortunately the end result is, they are destroying their reputation, hurting their sales both of which will be their downfall. You know, when I go to their web page and see all that monitoring gear I start to think about the grand days of X10 when that crap was splashed all over the place. Uniden, you don't want to go there.

Fix your problems, fix your dongle, release your application, fix your sound quality on your 536HP line. OR get on with replacing it with something that works and we'll get over it. Otherwise prepare to be relegated to obscurity for your blunders. Consumers talk with their wallets. Let none of us ever forget that.

There, that felt good. Not I can go about browsing the internets for other new digital scanners. I wanted to love my 536HP. I did love my 536HP, then I turned my 536HP on and well, I've been falling out of love ever since.

Roveer

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Demand has continued to outstrip supply. We don't offer it on our web site when we have backorders from our distribution partners.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
My guess is Uniden doesn't want to have all these scanners sent back to fix it, which seems the only way we will get what we paid for. Don't think a software update will fix the problem but not 100% sure about that. The silence from Uniden points toward hardware they don't want to pay to fix. Am hoping for a fix but looks like this will be my last uniden scanner. Regret selling my 396T to help pay for my 436. Should have sold the 436.

troymail

Silent Key
Demand has continued to outstrip supply. We don't offer it on our web site when we have backorders from our distribution partners.

Assuming this is true, I suspect Uniden really sees no reason to fix the problem.....but I can't believe that could/would be true.....But it could also be true if production is or has has slowed....

jdobbs2001

No one cares about the guy on the forum. The wallet is the ultimate form of voting if the product will be a success or not. And right now it seems these new scanners are a big success.

What surprises me is no one at Uniden bothered to qualify the wifi dongle hardware comparability with the scanner.

It's as if someone said just throw in the cheapest wifi dongle you can find on the market and package it up. I doubt this generation of scanners will be wifi capable. Those who ponied up 600 bucks on a promise, well I got a bridge to sell you.

jland138

I don't doubt UpMan. A lot of agencies here in California are finally getting their budgets back. There's been a lot of new equipment procurement from agencies big and small. With the Crown Vic retired, lots of agencies have been building out on the new vehicle platforms, dumping their old stuff and buying new gear. Public safety agencies don't need WiFi dongles or "analyze mode", and the *36 scanners (say they) can do P25 Phase II, so there's likely strong demand from them.

JamesO

I have said this before and I will repeat it as my comments seem to be on deaf ears. Surprised there are not supporters for this?

Uniden needs to also offer a hardwired dongle. Even if it is a customer purchased option. They are dirt cheap in volume, probably under $3 each. This would have allowed the scanner App to be working before the end of Q12014.

Quite clear that since Uniden JUST updated their computer network and servers last week, 6 months after the scanner release, for the roll out of the new App that they are way behind on this project for many reasons.

I had stated that July would be the earliest I would have expected the App roll out and new firmware be available, but this may even be optimist, but there is still time. I had also speculated if the missing Malaysian airplane would be found before the App roll out and just today they have a new idea where to start looking for the missing airplane.

Not sure what will be sorted out first, I hope for the families of the passengers on the missing plane, it would be found first, but others may disagree?

All I can say is everyone needs to be patient on this issue, I am sure Uniden is working hard behind the scenes. Unless vacation gets cancelled at Uniden then I would expect this is a not an ultra high priority. And this being said, I would never release/roll out something this complex with the main developers ready to go on vacation in case immediate bugs need to be fixed. Uniden Customer Circus also better be ready for the FLOOD of calls that have nothing to do with their product. There will be networking issues galore that will likely be on the customer end and I doubt Uniden will be staffed with anyone that can help. The forum here will need all the networking experts to help out.

So Sept/Oct may be the new target in my mind.

We have all waited this long, no need to continue plowing the field again, it may make some feel better to vent, but it does nothing but to stir the inmates up.

Last edited:

Boatanchor

Assuming this is true, I suspect Uniden really sees no reason to fix the problem.....but I can't believe that could/would be true.....But it could also be true if production is or has has slowed....

I'm not saying that its happening, but regulating supply and distribution of any product can be an effective ploy for regulating it's market price.

troymail

Silent Key
I have said this before and I will repeat it as my comments seem to be on deaf ears. Surprised there are not supporters for this?

Uniden needs to also offer a hardwired dongle. Even if it is a customer purchased option. They are dirt cheap in volume, probably under $3 each. This would have allowed the scanner App to be working before the end of Q12014.

Quite clear that since Uniden JUST updated their computer network and servers last week, 6 months after the scanner release, for the roll out of the new App that they are way behind on this project for many reasons.

I had stated that July would be the earliest I would have expected the App roll out and new firmware be available, but this may even be optimist, but there is still time. I had also speculated if the missing Malaysian airplane would be found before the App roll out and just today they have a new idea where to start looking for the missing airplane.

Not sure what will be sorted out first, I hope for the families of the passengers on the missing plane, it would be found first, but others may disagree?

All I can say is everyone needs to be patient on this issue, I am sure Uniden is working hard behind the scenes. Unless vacation gets cancelled at Uniden then I would expect this is a not an ultra high priority. And this being said, I would never release/roll out something this complex with the main developers ready to go on vacation in case immediate bugs need to be fixed. Uniden Customer Circus also better be ready for the FLOOD of calls that have nothing to do with their product. There will be networking issues galore that will likely be on the customer end and I doubt Uniden will be staffed with anyone that can help. The forum here will need all the networking experts to help out.

We have all waited this long, no need to continue plowing the field again, it may make some feel better to vent, but it does nothing but to stir the inmates up.

...and tomorrow's lottery numbers will be 1-2-3-4-5-6. :D

If they haven't solved it at this point, I doubt it will ever be fixed.

I did love my 536HP, then I turned my 536HP on and well, I've been falling out of love ever since.

Roveer

Reminds me of when I got up the nerve to finally ask out that super hott girl that I was head over heels for in high school..Ohhh Lauren F...You were so cute,Your brown eyes,,puffy lips..knockout smile...Your long blonde locks....

Then I dated her..She was HIGH maintenance,,,Heavy stress on my wallet..I drove her & her cute friends all over.....You were a dream...But like all dreams..I finally woke up!...

Boatanchor

Reminds me of when I got up the nerve to finally ask out that super hott girl that I was head over heels for in high school..Ohhh Lauren F...You were so cute,Your brown eyes,,puffy lips..knockout smile...Your long blonde locks....

Then I dated her..She was HIGH maintenance,,,Heavy stress on my wallet..I drove her & her cute friends all over.....You were a dream...But like all dreams..I finally woke up!...

LMAO :)

Yeh, many of us have been there too

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for nothing !

Really ?
I just sent my 3rd and last 536HP back ! How many more posts do you have to read before you feel that you have an obligation to respond to your customers . When will we see the Analyze Mode and what is the status of the Dongle and Wifi App?

SCPD

QRT

"AOR AR5000+3 & SDU, AR800, Icom R71A, R7100, PRO2004, PRO2006, PRO43, PRO96, PRO2096, BC785D, HP1E, 396XT, 996XT, 436HP, 536HP. I probably missed some gear. Man, I gotta get rid of some of this stuff!" No way, that is a great line-up!, nothing to get rid of IMHO. :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
How many more posts do you have to read before you feel that you have an obligation to respond to your customers .
I'm here answering questions 7 days a week. If I'm not answering your question, then there is probably a reason.

digitalanalog

I would suggest that all you folks with problems with these new scanners should go here and FLOOD uniden with returns, and simply ask for your money back, stop trying to get Upman to answer anything, he is not going to and probably been told Not To.....It's pretty simple fix if you ask me, Send All of them back............

Here is your link to send them back.
Product Repair

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I'm here answering questions 7 days a week. If I'm not answering your question, then there is probably a reason.

Heh... I've asked for YEARS to be on the beta team too... and no answer (which in and of itself is an answer also, isn't it?) I'm sure there's a reason, but I'd love to know what it is. Maybe I inadvertantly cut UPMan off in traffic or something years ago? Would love the chance to make it right, whatever it was. But I digress...

@ the OP: The answer to why haven't they sourced a new dongle is probably far too complicated (not to mention confidential) for Paul to answer here. There's probably contracts to consider, retooling costs for the assembly line, new firmware would be needed to talk to as different dongle, servers on Uniden's end might need code changes also just to accommodate a new dongle, someone needs to figure out what to do with all the old ones, on and on - plenty of possible reasons for no hardware changes but most boil down to money. Simply put, it would cost a fortune to back everything up, change out the dongle and start over now. Imagine just the cost of shipping every 536HP owner a new dongle. Yuck. That's the kind of stuff that costs you promotions and pay raises later on, so there's yet another reason why not.

I know we've all been waiting patiently (well some of us patiently, others not so much) for a REALLY long time, but I'm still 100% confident we will see an app and the Analyze feature as soon as humanly possible. In the meanwhile, the 436HP is still a great scanner. Only the actual Moto radios work better than this scanner does on our nightmare DTRS, and even then at most times it's a draw or the M radio is just slightly better. Not bad considering the XTS I compared the 436 with was 5 times more expensive than the scanner.

I don't (yet) have a 536, but it's on the list of things to get this year, app or no app. My ancient BC796D needs an official retirement or at least reduced duty. I literally NEVER listen to it anymore now that I have my 436. It's simply far better on our DTRS than the 796D ever dreamed it could be.

One last comment - lawsuits? Really guys? I'm seeing more and more threads in here demanding Uniden give everyone a refund or they're gonna sue. Does Paul really need to answer up on these types of threads? The minute you threaten a lawsuit Paul HAS to stop responding and refer all correspondence from you to the legal department. I know that because the same policy is in effect at EVERY company I've ever worked for, large and small. Either hire an attorney and proceed or stop threatening lawsuits - doing that effectively KILLS every thread where folks are asking Paul to respond. He can't once you start talking about suing the company! Duh!

There. Now *I* feel better, too.

-AZ

jdobbs2001

Well technically if a company advertises a feature and they do not deliver they can be sued in court and some kind of judgement handed down.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest that all you folks with problems with these new scanners should go here and FLOOD uniden with returns, and simply ask for your money back, stop trying to get Upman to answer anything, he is not going to and probably been told Not To.....It's pretty simple fix if you ask me, Send All of them back............

Here is your link to send them back.
Product Repair

I returned my 3rd 536HP a few days ago. I've gone back to the Home Patrol -1 with Extreme . Like others here I'll just take a back seat and see how things unfold.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber

It's a moot point . I returned the 536HP and went back to the Home Patrol -1 with Extreme. I respect that you have your reasons. I will say that the HP-1 E is pretty darn cool, and glad that things worked out the way they did.

Boatanchor

I returned my 3rd 536HP a few days ago. I've gone back to the Home Patrol -1 with Extreme . Like others here I'll just take a back seat and see how things unfold.

I wonder what the maximum period of ownership is before Uniden/the retailer will not allow a full refund?
Is 6 months pushing the limits, bearing in mind the product still doesn't do what it says it will do on the carton?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.