Why I believe the SDS-model scanners are a complete lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YalekW

So we all are familiar with the famous models of the SDS-100 and 200, right?

Well...Im gonna spill out some cold hard facts and truths that I found, even if I didnt purchase this bad example << As Ive heard from dozens of individuals that this is probably the WORSTexample in the history of radio receving.

For the SDS-200 (and is also applied to the 100 too) The first and foremost thing we see with this scanner is its LCD-like display. Pretty orange, yellow colors under a black screen. We have similiar buttons to a normal scanner, much like a numeric keypad on an old landline. Fine with me. But this scanner according to Uniden, has an SDR-based feature.

^^^^
This SDR feature is a COMPLETE LIE. Explanation below:
Any hardware backed SDR should always follow every philosophy when it comes to SDR support. It needs to have USB-backend (which this does have, thankfully), with extension cables of the right type, with a special driver on windows or linux, to RUN in SDRPP, SDR#, and perhaps a special IO DLL for HDSDR. It is also, supposed to be a feature to *view spectrum* from the scanner, not add any additional functionality to the *hardware of things* on the scanner. The scanner also does not have its own IF and audio spectrum viewer, in case if you have a broken USB port.

And what the hell is with the *ethernet port?* That is 100% useless because that model is not designed to run a spyserver on it. It just cant do it. So, in conclusion, these models lie about their SDR feature almost completely, and so did Uniden. Sure, it can probably be used for Global tuners, but that may be it...

Another EXTREMELY Irritating and almost scam worthy feature about this thing is tailored to the term: FREEMIUM. This is probably the first model to do this, and I am 100% against this.

Buying once does not mean buy again for more features. One buy, all features << makes sense right? Thats what happened with all the radio scanners of the past, except this one. And sometimes, the purchase also wouldnt work, and you couldnt get your additional modes sometimes. So, automatically making it a scam.

Why the **** would one want to LITERALLY add that type of freemium feature? A scanner boasting a $700 price tag should DEFINITELY have all the features enabled by default, with no freemium strategies. Utter utter bull****. Appaling, and disrespectful.

So: in conclusion, I would encourage those who have read these statements to not buy this bad example of a lie by one of the most prized companies in the world. Because now they have lost their reputation after selling this line of scanners. And whether its "SDR" feature helps the hardware, it couldve had better support for actual SDR usage >> that is >> on software, in SDRPP, SDR#, HDSDR.

Yalek W.

Well...Im gonna spill out some cold hard facts and truths that I found, even if I didnt purchase this bad example << As Ive heard from dozens of individuals that this is probably the WORSTexample in the history of radio receving.

For the SDS-200 (and is also applied to the 100 too) The first and foremost thing we see with this scanner is its LCD-like display. Pretty orange, yellow colors under a black screen. We have similiar buttons to a normal scanner, much like a numeric keypad on an old landline. Fine with me. But this scanner according to Uniden, has an SDR-based feature.

^^^^
Any hardware backed SDR should always follow every philosophy when it comes to SDR support. It needs to have USB-backend (which this does have, thankfully), with extension cables of the right type, with a special driver on windows or linux, to RUN in SDRPP, SDR#, and perhaps a special IO DLL for HDSDR. It is also, supposed to be a feature to *view spectrum* from the scanner, not add any additional functionality to the *hardware of things* on the scanner. The scanner also does not have its own IF and audio spectrum viewer, in case if you have a broken USB port.

And what the hell is with the *ethernet port?* That is 100% useless because that model is not designed to run a spyserver on it. It just cant do it. So, in conclusion, these models lie about their SDR feature almost completely, and so did Uniden. Sure, it can probably be used for Global tuners, but that may be it...

Another EXTREMELY Irritating and almost scam worthy feature about this thing is tailored to the term: FREEMIUM. This is probably the first model to do this, and I am 100% against this.

Buying once does not mean buy again for more features. One buy, all features << makes sense right? Thats what happened with all the radio scanners of the past, except this one. And sometimes, the purchase also wouldnt work, and you couldnt get your additional modes sometimes. So, automatically making it a scam.

Why the **** would one want to LITERALLY add that type of freemium feature? A scanner boasting a $700 price tag should DEFINITELY have all the features enabled by default, with no freemium strategies. Utter utter bull****. Appaling, and disrespectful.

So: in conclusion, I would encourage those who have read these statements to not buy this bad example of a lie by one of the most prized companies in the world. Because now they have lost their reputation after selling this line of scanners. And whether its "SDR" feature helps the hardware, it couldve had better support for actual SDR usage >> that is >> on software, in SDRPP, SDR#, HDSDR.

Yalek W.
Why not just use standard black font so people don't have squint to see what you wrote in yellow......

MStep

^^^^

Yalek W.

Sadly, without commenting on its merits, your warning comes about three years too late. Most of the units to sell have already been sold, so you're at the tail end of the production run. The extra modes are not required in many cases. The unit's designer and advocate met an early demise and is not here to defend his ideas.

Most folks going into a $700 USD scanner purchase know exactly what they are getting involved with, so certainly there were no surprises. And this is not the first model to offer extra modes at an additional cost. There were forerunners, including the x36 series.

You intentions may have been honorable, but you apparently did not do your homework.

YalekW

no. I just havent expressed that insight yet. ive hid it till now.

And while I appreciate the compliment about me "being a radio god", thats also kinda an odd way of saying that about me, as im not 100% at that space yet LOL. Sure maybe some of the stuff i say is true, I usually dont express this stuff until I say its the right time.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
And for those complaining about the yellow text, deal with it. It is hard for me to highlight an area of text on this UI and change the whole face of it.

This is why theres a DARK theme too ;P.
I've read that approximately 15% of the male population is at least partially color-blind. That includes me. Sorry, but you did us a disservice. After I managed to make it through your post, I realized that it was time I'll never get back.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Typing yellow text against a white background and comparing it to yellow text on the SDS black background serves absolutely no comparison. After owning many other scanners, the SDS is the best overall scanner I have owned to this date. A programable easy to see screen, numerous tools and no simulcast issues makes this my first to grab scanner when I leave the house. I don't see any other options out there for real trunk tracking. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.