Why I sold my BCD546HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingray327

I have tried Whistler but returned that scanner because the program was not user friendly.
The HP-2 scanners (I have 2 of them which is how much I love them very user friendly).

I have 436 and don't really care much for it as the batteries don't last and the screen is horrid. The ergonomics of 436 are terrible as it can be easily set off scan mode and end up not scanning or losing everything on screen.
The problem these days is that there is not any tech support on these new scanners. Everyone is a salesperson and just say look up info in internet. Their purpose is to sell you a scanner and it ends right there. That's why this hobby will die off with no friendly knowledgeable tech support available as far as product vs. product goes. One with best customer service wins.

K9JLR

Uniden is currently focused on debugging some DMR problems, most recently talkgroups from one system being displayed when traffic from another system is being received. (https://forums.radioreference.com/u...cdx36hp-false-tgid-display-investigation.html) It's reasonable to infer that the firmware engineers that would be tasked with writing the NXDN update are the same ones working this issue, so NXDN isn't likely to be rolled out until the known DMR issues have been addressed.

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to roll out NXDN capability at some point in the "near" future. Some people are just impatient, and I understand the cause, as NXDN is being rolled out in some areas as quickly as DMR was/is before DMR capability was released for flagship scanners in the last six months or so. If could be for these aforesaid reasons, it could be something else, or a combination thereof, but I don't doubt that Uniden is both aware of the demand and the fact that a key competitor has rolled it out already.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The problem these days is that there is not any tech support on these new scanners. Everyone is a salesperson and just say look up info in internet. Their purpose is to sell you a scanner and it ends right there. That's why this hobby will die off with no friendly knowledgeable tech support available as far as product vs. product goes.

That's a rather ironic statement, given where you posted this...

D

DaveNF2G

I tried the TRX-2 also. It was defective so I sent it back. I could have gotten a replacement, but I absolutely loathe EZScan and won't buy another Whistler product until they come up with a better programming interface.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I am happy with my bcd436hp, but I would buy a Whistler TRX-2 today, if it offered ProVoice. The only reason I have not purchased a 536 (yet) is I am a little soured by the Siren App controversy, and Uniden's response to the whole problem. As far as I know, the function still does not work correctly. I have a problem paying for a function on the scanner that does not work as designed and (still) advertised.

However... I will still probably break down and buy the 536, just for a mobile option with ProVoice- unless Whistler gives me some hope...

NC1

Here is the result of my experience in attempting to purchase one scanner or the other. There a shortfalls on both sides of the fence either with the equipment, support, or updates. Not only that, but the technology keeps changing which quickly out dates anything you buy.

I have had a rainy day fund set aside for the purchase of a new scanner (with tower, antenna, and good coax cable), but neither of them are quite hitting the mark enough for me to spend the money - it's been 3 years and I decided that maybe I just needed a new hobby!

Anyway, I decided to get my amateur radio license again. I had one before but let it expire for various reasons. It took a week to study both the Technician and General question pools, then take both tests that weekend and pass them. The rainy day fund I had set aside for a new scanner all went to purchase a shiny new Yaesu HF rig.

Goodbye to any scanner purchase for a very long time. I hope the companies get their act together by the time I start looking again in a few years - unless I find a decent used unit for a very cheap price in the interim.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Biggest thing holding me back with Uniden is GPS location scanning. Driving around the OK / KS states every day would tire me locking and unlocking systems.

Copy & past quote from "easier to read manual". While the quote is very straight forward, from other threads getting it setup to your liking can be challenging. Once setup it looks like its hands off. I have 436/536, but don't use that feature. It might be less usable than I believe in practice.

"You can connect the scanner to a NMEA compatible GPS device and set the scanner to automatically Avoid and Unavoid Departments and Sites based on your current location. This frees you from having to manually enable and disable Departments and Sites as you change locations. All Sites/Departments with locations set and not within range of your current location will be temporarily Avoided. All Sites/Departments without locations set will still be scanned."

You might have a chance to pickup one out of this thread by someone that is selling theirs.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you travel extensively beyond the bounds of your home area (far enough that the systems heard while traveling are not the same as the ones heard at home), then GPS is a huge benefit. It automatically turns things on and off so the scanner isn't wasting time looking for signals that cannot be received.

seth21w

I am happy with my bcd436hp, but I would buy a Whistler TRX-2 today, if it offered ProVoice. The only reason I have not purchased a 536 (yet) is I am a little soured by the Siren App controversy, and Uniden's response to the whole problem. As far as I know, the function still does not work correctly. I have a problem paying for a function on the scanner that does not work as designed and (still) advertised.

However... I will still probably break down and buy the 536, just for a mobile option with ProVoice- unless Whistler gives me some hope...

I use the siren app all the time on my android tablet works good when I want to go around the house and listen and even hold on a channel I want to hear. They finally got android the app. Which apple I think got it first but oh well hint hint uniden,, apple sucks lol start with android next time ;)

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I use the siren app all the time on my android tablet works good when I want to go around the house and listen and even hold on a channel I want to hear. They finally got android the app. Which apple I think got it first but oh well hint hint uniden,, apple sucks lol start with android next time ;)

Does it work when you are not connected to the same wifi?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I tried the TRX-2 also. It was defective so I sent it back. I could have gotten a replacement, but I absolutely loathe EZScan and won't buy another Whistler product until they come up with a better programming interface.

+1

My TRX-2 isn't defective, but I too loathe EZScan. But even if Whistler's software was semi-respectable I would still take my 536 over the TRX-2 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's just a better radio in my opinion. Glad the OP is happy with the TRX, but my experience has been the exact opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.