Why I Will Never Buy A GRE Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone!
For years, I have been a loyal Uniden scanner fan. For the longest time, I have avoided anything from GRE. Well, I decided to give them another chance with the purchase of a PSR-400. I was interested in this radio as a side companion to the BCT-15 in the thinking that the 2 radios have very similar frequency coverage. Well, that is the ONLY thing I found out, that both have in common. Here is my opinion and mine only on the radios. The PSR-400 I received was filled with issues. First of all, I did a back of the set antenna comparison. I began with the VHF low band. Both radios were pretty much neck in neck, with the 15 winning by a hair. Next came the VHF-Air. I put in the local Boston Air Center repeater which repeats 134.000 really well. It is (fortunately for me) located just 1 town over from me and I get it clear with just the back of the set antenna on all my radios. All, except the new 400 that is. I had to break the squelch myself and move the radio and antenna to barely get the planes never mind the controller. I plugged in a frequency that all my unidens get very clear though not too strong. It was NY approach on 124.075. My BCT15, BC785 and for that matter my 996 were giving me 2 bars. Not one sound from the 400. Not even moving the radio and antenna around, nothing. I moved on to the VHF HI. I chose a town on the county next to ours that has a pretty strong analog signal. The frequency was 154.725. Once again, the BCT 15 gave me 3 bars of signal but clear voice. The 400 was nothing but static. I had to once again move the radio around like a portable and try to tune in. Static was the best I got. I tried puting a different antenna on the 400 to give it an edge, nothing. On UHF things were a little better in that both the 15 and the 400 were neck in neck with the 15 having a slight edge. I could not believe it. The other things that bugged me besides the performance issues were the following; The keys feel very sluggish and cheap, not firm like the BCT15, the screen brighness is a pain on the eyes when compared to the 15, Larger screen on the 15,Manual leaves a LOT to be desired, No BFO, no computer cable included and no serial connection like on the 15,996. I did not want to return it to the store I bought it from so I sold it. The only good thing about this experience is that it re-enforced the fact that I have made the right choices all these years in staying with Uniden Scanners. I was so proud of my BCT-15s performance that I am going to buy another one. No more GRE-FOR-ME!

Manny

Last edited:

Bucko

Sorry to hear that your 400 performed so poorly for you. I have to admit myself that the GRE's (latest models) that I own have a problem with selectivity when it comes to high band. They do perform very well above the high band and scan my LTR & EDACS systems much faster than say my BCT8 and BCT15, each have their good and bad points.

TOUGHLIFE

Having owned GRE radios before and many Unidens I will most likely remain with the Unidens. The 15 is fantastic along with the 330 and the 396 not to mention the 246, 780 and 785.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
i own the psr500 and had to send it back after 8 months due to a loose bnc connector. I have to s ay that their people a very responsive to problems and work hard to resolve issues. The units look good but uniden has a sturdier feel to it. Uniden customer service also is not as responsive. Its hard today because all companies are concerned with the bottom line,profit. Service usually comes second.

diskmonger

The last Uniden scanner I owned was a piece of garbage. The BC 796. The radio is DEAF on 800mhz.

I own a PSR-500 & PSR-600 and couldn't be any more happier.

Had one minor issue with the PSR-500 and they corrected the problem immediately with no cost.

jerk

My experience has been just the opposite.
I have the RS portable version of the GRE. And the portable BCD396 Uniden.
The GRE/RS blows the Uniden away in reception, sound quality, and battery longevity. But for several reasons I can't compare them head to head. For the same reason you can't with the GRE and Uniden either.

And I'm not sure which model I'll buy next, but leaning heavily toward another GRE.
Beside, you should have posted this in the Uniden forum because it sounds like that is where your partiality lies anyhow.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I tried!

I dont know guys!
I am a Uniden loyal customer but not to the point where I hate GRE. I will give any good scanner a chance. Thats what I was doing with the 400. I didnt go for the 600 as I am very happy with the 996. I just wanted a side companion like I said , for the BCT-15. I dedicate my scanners to particular services, IE..Digital, Aircraft, Emerg. Svcs, ect.. My BCT-15 is my all around scanner and I thought the 400 would do at least just as good. I heard that the GREs had sensitive reception so I wanted to see it for myself. I thought if anything, I might have to use the ATT function. I NEVER expected it to be deaf like that.
Well, I tried...

Manny

Highpockets

I dont know guys!
I am a Uniden loyal customer but not to the point where I hate GRE. I will give any good scanner a chance. Thats what I was doing with the 400. I didnt go for the 600 as I am very happy with the 996. I just wanted a side companion like I said , for the BCT-15. I dedicate my scanners to particular services, IE..Digital, Aircraft, Emerg. Svcs, ect.. My BCT-15 is my all around scanner and I thought the 400 would do at least just as good. I heard that the GREs had sensitive reception so I wanted to see it for myself. I thought if anything, I might have to use the ATT function. I NEVER expected it to be deaf like that.
Well, I tried...

Manny

I'd drop a note to GRE tech support and see what they have to say, maybe there is a problem like another poster mentioned.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well, I retrospect maybe I should have done just that. However, I have already made a deal with someone who responded to my post and I dont like to go back on my word. Once I promise something, I have to deliver. I dont feel TOO bad, at least I tried. To be honest, I didnt want to take a chance and have the same thing happen again. I will stick with what I already know works for me and right now, its the BCT-15.
Thank you all for your suggestions though.

Manny

Tom_G

Manny,
Sorry to hear the 400 didn't work out for you.
I don't own one of those, but I do own 2 PRO-2055's and my experience has been just the opposite. (Most of my listening is 800MHz and UHF and mostly trunking)
I had a BCT-15 for 6 months and I did like it, but side by side with the 2055 it was not as good. The 2055 consistantly produced better audio with less static.
I also had a 996 for a while and that thing produced more motorboating noise then a Mercury Marine motor.
The PRO-2096 and now the PSR-500 have the best sounding digital audio I have heard and not a trace of motoroboating....

Best of Luck.... Tom/G

jrplmil

Wow I just ordered a 400 yesterday as I hear it does a great job. I hope so. I dont own a bct15 but would like one. I have 2 bct898t and I like them. I have a bct350a that works great here in the land of no digital and I have a pro-2051 which I like. I live in an area where the closest town is 25 miles and I cant hear it unless I am by a bct898. Good luck to you

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Different strokes!

As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks....

Hey Tom, long time no talk. I dont get it either. I know where you live so I can understand the motorboating issue.( Fishing anyone?) I have never had a single issue of this kind with my Uniden scanners, and for that matter, my Radio Shack scanners either. Just goes to show you how different locations produce different results. I thought about the 2055 actualy, but I read that they were infamous for bad displays. http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33887
As far as the PSR-500/600 go, I have no need for them. I just wanted something simple. I was totaly shocked. I even changed locations 3 times in case it was something to do with where I had placed it. Nothing. I was already not warming up to it mainly because the buttons feel very cheap and flimsy when you hit them, unlike my Uniden scanners. Oh well, it is what it is.

Manny

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The last Uniden scanner I owned was a piece of garbage. The BC 796. The radio is DEAF on 800mhz.

There had to be something wrong with your particular BC796D, or antenna system. I think that was, and still is, one of the best digital scanners Unden ever made. I've owned several, as have many of my friends, and we were always very satisfied, and often impressed with their performance.

No, I'm not a Uniden bigot. Currently I do not own any Unidens. I own a GRE PSR-500.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
There had to be something wrong with your particular BC796D, or antenna system. I think that was, and still is, one of the best digital scanners Unden ever made. I've owned several, as have many of my friends, and we were always very satisfied, and often impressed with their performance.

No, I'm not a Uniden bigot. Currently I do not own any Unidens. I own a GRE PSR-500.

As I said in my previous post, different locations, environments produce different results. I could have said the same thing about my experience with the PSR-400. I cannot in all honesty say that ALL 400s are a piece of crap. It was just the one I tried out. If it works for others, great....Thats just how it is when you are dealing with electronics.

Manny

kevin390

That's well said Manny. I been listening to scanners for a while now and I never really got into the science of it, but the one thing I have learned is what is garbage for one person is gold for another. I have noticed that with some scanners but especially antennas...........Ray

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Unfortunately, along with the apparent increase in sensitivity on the newer PSRs you are going to get rough selectivity and overload from strong signals.

If I were to have bought a PSR and ended up having those problems, I certainly would have gotten rid of it too. Fortunately for me, I live far enough away from strong signals that affect my PSR and I can enjoy one of its most admirable features. I certainly don't blame others who have to get rid of a PSR because they can't reliably listen to things.

Sorry to hear you had that experience, Manny. It really is likely due to your RF environment and so any of the PSRs you would have gotten would have suffered a similar fate. Wise choice on just going back to a scanner that you know works well in your environ.

Mike

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
What I dont get is why this happened only with the 400 and not any of my other scanners. I would think that if it was the environment to blame, then I would experience that with ALL my scanners. Its funny to say this but even my crystal scanner (Pro-48 10 channel) is great on the same bands. I think it was just that particular radio. Either way, I didnt lose a GRE, I gained another Uniden (BCT-15 #2),.......;-)

Manny

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Most of us live in a high rf environment to some degree!!! I owned many high-end scanners and I think it has to do more with HOW they are being made. The internal components are being made cheaply and if you notice the casing and design of the psr500 its a cheap-like feel to it!!! if its dropped once you may be out of commission!!!!! The bottom of the unit is so flimsy that if you take the batteries out and just use the ac cord,it topples over so quickly if you try to place it on the desk??? Its so light that a sneeze could knock it off the table and could damage the unit?? so much for sturdy design??!!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The bottom of the unit is so flimsy that if you take the batteries out and just use the ac cord,it topples over so quickly if you try to place it on the desk??? Its so light that a sneeze could knock it off the table and could damage the unit?? so much for sturdy design??!!

Man that really drives me crazy - I've been MFing the radio daily since I had it for this reason alone. I really can't set it anywhere and expect it to stand upright if I have either the power supply or the PC/IF cable plugged in.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.