Why is 996XT picking up addl Talkgroups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave7933

I just bought this scanner and it is awesome. Much better than the 796D I had been using. One thing that has me puzzled though is I imported the data into the receiver using FreeScan and the RR database. I was careful to only import what I wanted and locked out all others. The strange thing (I live in Palm Beach County and downloaded that trunked system) is that I am receiving many talk IDs that I did not download nor import into the scanner such as Animal Control, County Traffic Engineering (mainly in the 4xxx series talk groups). Why is this and what can I do about it other than manually locking them out as they pop up on the scanner. Thanks in advance.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
ID Search vs ID Scan

I just bought this scanner and it is awesome. Much better than the 796D I had been using. One thing that has me puzzled though is I imported the data into the receiver using FreeScan and the RR database. I was careful to only import what I wanted and locked out all others. The strange thing (I live in Palm Beach County and downloaded that trunked system) is that I am receiving many talk IDs that I did not download nor import into the scanner such as Animal Control, County Traffic Engineering (mainly in the 4xxx series talk groups). Why is this and what can I do about it other than manually locking them out as they pop up on the scanner. Thanks in advance.

Are you by chance in ID SEARCH mode and not ID SCAN mode?

dave7933

I am pretty sure it is in scan mode as I have done nothing to cause it to search and it is scanning my proper channels correctly. It is just bringing in those others. How can I verify? Thanks.

scanchs

Here you go...

I am pretty sure it is in scan mode as I have done nothing to cause it to search and it is scanning my proper channels correctly. It is just bringing in those others. How can I verify? Thanks.

dave7933,

Just look at the display screen when the radio is scanning. When it isn't stopped on an active channel, it will be scrolling either ID SEARCH or ID SCAN. If it says ID SEARCH, it will stop on any active talk group, whether it's programmed into the scanner or not. ID SCAN will only stop on talk groups that are programmed into the scanner. To toggle between the two modes, simply press the function knob and then press the SCAN/SEARCH button. That's all there is to it... :)

ScanCHS

dave7933

Well you were correct I think. In messing around with the buttons when I first turned the unit on I think in error I caused it to go into search mode. Thanks so much! I'll advise if I have further issues but I think you nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.