Why is my TRX-2 like a box of chocolates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Each time I connect my TRX-2 to my computer it's like opening a box of chocolates
you never know what your going to get ?

I connect my scanner the same way each time when I do I get one of the following at random
1. SD Initialization and nothing happens
2. SD initialization and attempts to update firmware then fails
3. USB backup charging. This one allows me to connect to the scanner

If I get # 1 or 2 I keep plugging and unplugging the USB cable until I eventually get # 3

Once I'm done i eject the device being the scanner before pulling the USB cable

When I power up the unit after connecting to the computer Usually i get the same thing
In a loop of # 1 or # 2 Eventually pressing the power button several times brings it back to life
Once It's back to life its fine

Anyone else seeing this

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Box of Chocolates

Each time I connect my TRX-2 to my computer it's like opening a box of chocolates
you never know what your going to get ?

I connect my scanner the same way each time when I do I get one of the following at random
1. SD Initialization and nothing happens
2. SD initialization and attempts to update firmware then fails
3. USB backup charging. This one allows me to connect to the scanner

If I get # 1 or 2 I keep plugging and unplugging the USB cable until I eventually get # 3

Once I'm done i eject the device being the scanner before pulling the USB cable

When I power up the unit after connecting to the computer Usually i get the same thing
In a loop of # 1 or # 2 Eventually pressing the power button several times brings it back to life
Once It's back to life its fine

Anyone else seeing this

First off, make sure the Scanner Power is off, then insert and remove the SD Card 8 to 10 times. That insures that it is getting a good connection. Then with Scanner still off, it can even be unplugged from power, Plug up to USB. It should show Charging Backup Battery. After a few seconds, it should be connected to computer and show up. Then Update or Program as you would like. Then be sure to Eject TRX, and when told it is Safe to remove device, do so. Hold power button until it shows initializing SD card, then release and all should go well. Hope this helps.

SCPD

QRT
First off, make sure the Scanner Power is off, then insert and remove the SD Card 8 to 10 times. That insures that it is getting a good connection. Then with Scanner still off, it can even be unplugged from power, Plug up to USB. It should show Charging Backup Battery. After a few seconds, it should be connected to computer and show up. Then Update or Program as you would like. Then be sure to Eject TRX, and when told it is Safe to remove device, do so. Hold power button until it shows initializing SD card, then release and all should go well. Hope this helps.
I go as far to physically unplug the power before connecting the USB cable
Ive done the plug and unplug the SD trick and no difference
Thanks for the reply

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Is your PC app using the most recent version? Not sure if it will make a difference, but their latest update (1/20) says one fix is " Fixed issue with CPU updates when using Windows 10 and using the default Windows drivers"

SCPD

QRT
Is your PC app using the most recent version? Not sure if it will make a difference, but their latest update (1/20) says one fix is " Fixed issue with CPU updates when using Windows 10 and using the default Windows drivers"
I too read the release notes and was hoping this may address my problem and
Yes I'm up to date
I'm going to try another computer and see what happens

Ubbe

I had a ton of problems the first week i got my TRX-2 and all was solved by getting a new SD card.
All modern equipment use micro SD but TRX-2 still uses mini and those 8GB where on sale here for $2.

/Ubbe

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I agree a new SD card and a good USB cable (no hub, no extension) went a long way to fixing those issues.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I was doing good until again I had the dreaded errors after trying to update the SD card from ezscan. Again the drive was mounted in windows and readable. Did the update from ezscan and as soon as it went to write the files bam not responding, the drive was mounted showed in explorer but not accessible even from a command prompt. Sure looks like something in the way the program accesses the usb. I have noticed even when it is copying correctly there are periods of 10-25 seconds where it appears to hang then starts up again.

scosgt

I was doing good until again I had the dreaded errors after trying to update the SD card from ezscan. Again the drive was mounted in windows and readable. Did the update from ezscan and as soon as it went to write the files bam not responding, the drive was mounted showed in explorer but not accessible even from a command prompt. Sure looks like something in the way the program accesses the usb. I have noticed even when it is copying correctly there are periods of 10-25 seconds where it appears to hang then starts up again.

Unless you are doing a firmware or CPU update, always use the SD card with a reader. Do not plug in the scanner to the computer.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately that would require taking it out of the mount I have it in each time I want to change the programming. Or mounting the scanner and remote head separate. For a unit of this cost the USB should work period. I should not have to play games unplug this reset this. I like the unit I just don't like all the issues to get the updates to work. The USB is very temperamental either poor hardware on the usb or really poor programming which seems like a more likely scenario.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I often use the USB cable to update the programming. It is slower but it's fine, no harm in it.

In the past I've also had times when the software would say "not responding" but I just let it sit and it eventually completed and was successful.

Ed6698

Just let it sit, even it shows not responding, it will eventually finish.

Ubbe

I agree that the USB connection sometimes freezes for 30 sec and continues or it generates an error "could not connect" and I have to confirm that three times before it continues.

When doing the latest upgrade it went ok with the dsp upgrade and the cpu upgrade started but when doing the firmware file transfer it failed each time like it disconnected the USB on purpose.

I used a laptop to be able to do the upgrade. Both computers on win7 equally setup with same antivirus program and other applications. So I guess the main computer have a different way of handling USB ports.

A terrific program I use and cannot be without on any computer are hddled that indicate read and write of each drive including the one TRX-2 uses. It shows when the drive becames available to use and when it reads and writes a file. HddLed Indicator - Hard disk drive and SSD activity indicator with separate read and write operations in real-time.

/Ubbe

SCPD

QRT
Installed new SD card and so far so good
Will see how it goes
Update:
So far so good using a new SD card I'm happy my problem is gone
but disappointed I had to go out and purchase a card that works and why
doesn't Whistler man or women up and recall the cards and send out new ones
Based on what I read a lot of others had issues with SD cards supplied with the unit
I did re-format and copied the data to the old card and failed first time I used it

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Interesting. Glad to know you got it figured out. Maybe if you contact Whistler they'll make good on it. At least they'll know if nothing else...

SCPD

QRT
I often use the USB cable to update the programming. It is slower but it's fine, no harm in it.

In the past I've also had times when the software would say "not responding" but I just let it sit and it eventually completed and was successful.

I now use the cable that came with my Uniden 536 not that cheap cable Whistler supplies. I've also had the " Not Responding " you just have to be patient and don't touch anything

SCPD

QRT
I totally agree paying the bucks you should not have to play games. I have a 536 and not once had a problem Interfacing the radio and the computer using the USB cable
After I replaced my SD cards my problems diminished

Unfortunately that would require taking it out of the mount I have it in each time I want to change the programming. Or mounting the scanner and remote head separate. For a unit of this cost the USB should work period. I should not have to play games unplug this reset this. I like the unit I just don't like all the issues to get the updates to work. The USB is very temperamental either poor hardware on the usb or really poor programming which seems like a more likely scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.