Yaesu: Why is my Yaesu quick charger flashing red?

KB2GOM

Bought the quick charger --YAESU CD-15A -- for my Yaesu VX6R. Been using it for about two months. Today, I dropped the radio in to charge. LED glowed red. After about an hour, it is flashing red but the green (full charge) has not come on.

Nothing in the manual about it.

??

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Did the battery charge up at all? Did you try putting the radio in the charger a couple of times to make sure it mated ok? If the battery was red for an hour, it may not have needed much of a charge so it may just flash red instead of green. On my FT3D, if the battery is almost full and I drop it in the quick charger, it will not charge and the light will not come on at all.

KB2GOM

Did the battery charge up at all? Did you try putting the radio in the charger a couple of times to make sure it mated ok? If the battery was red for an hour, it may not have needed much of a charge so it may just flash red instead of green. On my FT3D, if the battery is almost full and I drop it in the quick charger, it will not charge and the light will not come on at all.

Just a while ago, the red flashing stopped, and the green FULL light came on. Nevertheless, I have emailed Yaesu to make sure all is well.

KA9MGC

Premium Subscriber
The same thing happened to me with my FT5DR. I thought it was messed up, but then the green light came on.

This is with the CD-41 rapid charger, but it sounds like the same thing.

Kb3uaf

You're charging a lithium battery. The charger will do that oncy for lithium cells. It freaked me out too. The flashing gets slower as it gets closer to a full charge.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
VX-6R owner and yes, the charger LED will run solid red as the battery charges. As it approaches full charge, it begins to flicker red, and then it goes green at full charge.

It can and will confuse Motorola held held users/owners.