SDR# Why is SDR# noise floor value different to other SDR programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewraith2008

When testing in SDR#, the noise floor value (assumed dBm) does not show the same value as compared to the values shown in HDSDR, SDR-Console and SDRUNO.
The same RTL-SDR dongle and antenna where used for all programs tested, with the exception of SDRUNO which used the SDRPlay RSP1A.

SDR#
7vnSKEj.png

HDSDR
LI4UEmE.png

SDR-Console
tTls9gT.png

SDRUNO
Vuv0FfE.png

Should be noted, even when the SDRPlay RSP1A is used in SDR#, it shows the same elevated noise floor value.

I have seen a video of an old SDR# (v0.0.0.0) showing values similar to HDSDR, SDR-Console and SDRUNO.

Does anyone know why it has changed from been similar to other SDR programs to been different?
Is this value something other the dBm?

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
SDR# value in dBFS
HDSDR value in dB
SDRConsole value in dBm
Each shows up on the display.

Mil

thewraith2008

Thanks for reply.
I forgot about the units of measure been used on the overlay for the spectrum view in SDR#.

thewraith2008

While on the topic of units of measure.

Here is something I've noticed with the units of measure conversion in SDR-Console.
In SDR-Console the scale can be switched to show three units of measure. dBm, dBuV and S meter.
The S meter value does not match up with the values of dBm, dBuV. see GIF below @ UHF.

Is seems SDR-Console uses the conversion for S Meter(*) that suit frequencies under 30 MHz. (* when frequency is above 30 MHz)
When looking up references to dBm, dBuV and S meter conversion charts (see the web sites below) the S Meter value should be S8-S9 for the dBm/dBuV values shown (in GIF) and when frequencies are above 144 MHz (as mentioned in "IARU Region 1 Technical Recommendation R.1" see link below).

05RZWZZ.gif

S meter conversion chart #1
S meter conversion chart #2

IARU Region 1 Technical Recommendation R.1 - "STANDARDISATION OF S-METER READINGS" (page 9)

thewraith2008

Just a follow up to the above post of mine about SDR-Console S Meter.

Seems the S-Meter is a newly add feature (August 24th, 2019) and it mentions here that:
3. On the bands above 144 MHz this available power shall be -93 dBm (which corresponds to S-9) (Note: not currently implemented),

Status
Not open for further replies.