• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Why is the harris unity so restrictive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrnewuser

User: 1. Is prohibited from using a non type-accepted unit in the US (does not matter if you buy it or if you make your own radio, you can not use it on a frequency that require type acceptance (Part 90,95 etc))
2. You are prohibited from transmitting on non licensed or authorized channels
3. You can also be given violation for programming channel for Tx that you are not authorized or licensed for (there are some exemptions to this)(radio shop or programmer can get violation as well)

Ok. I am not trying to be argumentative here - just trying to sort this out in my own mind...

Items 2 and 3 that you mention are only relevant for TX ... so is it item 1 that applies, even if the radio is RX only ? That confuses me, since I see a Yaesu VR-500 is 100khz - 1299 mhz ... they have no transmitter ...

So back to my original question - I understand why the harris unity has limited bands for TX, but you're saying there are regulatory problems if they opened it all the way up for RX ?

PACNWDude

On the note of why I can't transmit and receive across the entire 30-900MHz spectrum, I am peeved that Harris only made their easy to acquire for mere civilians Unity radio, only in FM.

There have been many times it would have been useful to have AM TX/RX abilities. This is even with the spectrum holes it has. I actually found myself reaching for where I used used to keep my PRC-117F KDU to switch modes.

gesucks

"That confuses me, since I see a Yaesu VR-500 is 100khz - 1299 mhz ... they have no transmitter"

This is a Receiver and not a Transceiver, there for different rules. Just like a scanner

gesucks

On the note of why I can't transmit and receive across the entire 30-900MHz spectrum, I am peeved that Harris only made their easy to acquire for mere civilians Unity radio, only in FM.

There have been many times it would have been useful to have AM TX/RX abilities. This is even with the spectrum holes it has. I actually found myself reaching for where I used used to keep my PRC-117F KDU to switch modes.

Both the Unity and the Liberty could have done AM air band in both civilian and Military if you wanted a MUCH larger radio and antenna.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

If I wanted to buy a surplus military manpack radio for transmitting on the Amateur HF and 6m bands while hill- or mountain-topping, what would my legal choices be? I'd be interested in as wide a frequency capability as possible.
Other than military surplus, Yaesu at one time had two models of military-style manpack radios about 20 or so years ago.

prcguy

In the US you can legally buy and use any military surplus radio you can find for amateur use provided it does not have Type 1 encryption, which will usually have a bar code or tag that says "CCI"

There are only two US made manpacks that are available surplus that cover HF and 6m in the same box, the PRC-70 which does 2 to 76MHz AM, FM, CW and USB or the PRC-138 which does 1.6 to 60MHz all mode. Both have internal automatic antenna tuners and the PRC-70 is an older rig introduced in 1974 and the PRC-138 is a modern DSP based radio released in the early-mid 1990s.

The PRC-70 has been a little scarce these days and will probably fetch $1500 on up and the PRC-138 is available in qty but prepare to spend around $5k. The current replacement for the PRC-138 is the PRC-150 series and all the US Govt purchased versions have Type 1 encryption, so they will not be hitting the surplus market.

I've had several PRC-70s and PRC-138s over the years and they are a joy to operate. If you don't need 6m then there are lots of other models to choose from with a lower price tag.

This topic probably needs it own thread.
prcguy

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

If I wanted to buy a surplus military manpack radio for transmitting on the Amateur HF and 6m bands while hill- or mountain-topping, what would my legal choices be? I'd be interested in as wide a frequency capability as possible.
Other than military surplus, Yaesu at one time had two models of military-style manpack radios about 20 or so years ago.

KB7MIB

Thank you. That's all I need, so I'll let it go at that. Back to your regularly scheduled topic :)

prcguy

You might want to sign up in the Yahoo "armyradios" and "milpack" groups to learn more and meet people who dabble in HF packsets. Some of the group members own high end Thales, Racal and Harris radios discussed in this thread.
prcguy

Thank you. That's all I need, so I'll let it go at that. Back to your regularly scheduled topic :)

KB7MIB

Cool, thanks.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
If a surplus Harris Falcon III portable radios (310 or 7800) should ever come available within my price range, and I can verify that it's not stolen or missing from someone's inventory list, then I would give serious consideration to buying it. But I would avoid it if it had Type 1 encryption in it in any event.

prcguy

I've seen several legit RF-5800-HH and possibly the 7800HH and a few MBITRs for sale but the prices are generally around $3.5k on up used. If you see one for that price or less you would have to decide quickly or it will be gone.
prcguy

If a surplus Harris Falcon III portable radios (310 or 7800) should ever come available within my price range, and I can verify that it's not stolen or missing from someone's inventory list, then I would give serious consideration to buying it. But I would avoid it if it had Type 1 encryption in it in any event.

quantar21

APX portables and mobiles with VHF are Part 80 & 90. The portables that are FPP without a dongle are only for sale to feds.

quantar21

Yep and there lies the problem of very capable FPP hardware that could end up in the wrong hands. We have had issues with people screwing around with radios on public safety systems twice since the start of the new year. Although it could be the junk ham radio China imports for $50

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
Maybe on 800, but it's not like part 90 radios are the only ones capable of transmitting on the other bands used by public safety.

Morons who want to interfere with public safety (and businesses) can use less expensive, more readily obtained ham equipment (which is nearly all FPP) to do the same thing.

I'd love to see a bounty/monetary sharing arrangement between the FCC and those who wish to do some directional finding.
DF some moron(s) keying up on a business or public safety repeater and you get a decent percentage of the forfeiture. Obvious stuff about the FCC finding enough to issue a NAL and order of forfeiture.

quantar21

The issues here were on a 450 police analog system and a 150 Fire/EMS analog system so it could be almost any type of low cost programmable radio. Both incidents made the TV & print news.

PACNWDude

I am a responsible user, having amateur and commercial licenses. So when I see a high end front panel programmable radio on the market, I buy it. That is how I have the items in my shack. It helps to be a former Fed, but I have no power of arrest or anything like that. Was a technical geek the entire time. Now if a PRC-138 shows up, that is on my buy list.

The Harris Unity has worked well for me, but it would be nice if it were opened up a bit more. Still, compared to the APX7000, it is nice to have three bands and GPS in one radio.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with people who do things like that.

It's not like it's all that hard to become a firefighter anyway. If you're in reasonable shape and have a "ready to learn" attitude, you won't have a hard time gaining entry into the fire service, starting with a volunteer unit, most likely.

But by this guy being THAT dumb, it now seems rather certain that he will NEVER get the kind of work he was dreaming of getting.

No fire department would ever hire him now. And none should.

Nice going, Mr. Einstein.

Status
Not open for further replies.