SDS100/SDS200: Why is this happening

dp9821

My SDS100 is 7 months old. When I turned it on yesterday the date and time had reset to Jan 1 at 00:00. It looks like it is scanning but has not stopped on any channel all day. If I turn it off and then back on, the date and time resets again. The battery is fully charged, I have updated the database and reloaded my Favorites Lists. Firmware is up to date. Any ideas what could be wrong?

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
The battery for the clock, its the watch battery or if it doesn't have that then its a circuit not keeping time

tvengr

Well Known Member
Strange problems like that are usually caused by a bad or corrupted SD card. Try reformatting the card. You will need to go to the Scanner tab in Sentinel and click on Clear User Data to install the necessary files for communication before you program the scanner. If that doesn't work, replace the SD card before doing any further troubleshooting. When you install a new card, you will need to go to the Scanner tab in Sentinel and click on Clear User Data again before you program the scanner.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
The clock is ran by a watch battery, simular to the cmos battery in the desktop computers to keep the internal clock running, there is a similar thing in the scanner

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Or its a circuit or something, its not on the sd card, the clock runs regardless even if the sds battery block is dead

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I seem to remember that Paul said SDS100 and 200 had special capacitors that maintained the clock voltage. Not positive, though.

dp9821

I seem to remember that Paul said SDS100 and 200 had special capacitors that maintained the clock voltage. Not positive, though.
I just spoke to Uniden and they confirmed that it does have a capacitor for the clock voltage. Since it is still under warranty I am going to send it to Uniden for repair and have them address the scanning issue also.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I just spoke to Uniden and they confirmed that it does have a capacitor for the clock voltage. Since it is still under warranty I am going to send it to Uniden for repair and have them address the scanning issue also.
I cannot see how failure of the clock could cause your scanning problems. Did both issues appear at the same time? You may have both a bad clock capacitor and SD card. Please let us know the results that Uniden finds.

dp9821

I cannot see how failure of the clock could cause your scanning problems. Did both issues appear at the same time? You may have both a bad clock capacitor and SD card. Please let us know the results that Uniden finds.
I agree they appear to be separate problems, but they both did appear at the same time. I will keep you posted. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Did the radio sit for a long time not charged/plugged in?

Yes, it is a 'super cap' that powers the internal clock. If it sat for a long time, it will eventually discharge. Before you send it in, leave it plugged into the charger for 24 hrs and see if the issue goes away.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a spike or static discharge that is giving you these problems. Both can corrupt the SD card and the capacitor or other electronics in the scanner.

dp9821

Did the radio sit for a long time not charged/plugged in?

Yes, it is a 'super cap' that powers the internal clock. If it sat for a long time, it will eventually discharge. Before you send it in, leave it plugged into the charger for 24 hrs and see if the issue goes away.
No, it was plugged in overnight charging.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
No, it was plugged in overnight charging.
Possibly there was a brownout (electrical main power drops below the safety margin) again causing components to fry. Had to replace my SDD hard drive in my computer because of this.
Still static could play a factor, feet rubbing on rug on a dry day for example.