Why Mini instead of Micro USB for BCD436HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyadler

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone. I'm greatly enjoying my 436, but wonder why Uniden opted for the larger, older Mini-usb connector instead of the now-predominant and smaller Micro-usb? Virtually all of my existing cables and USB AC power adapters are Micro, so I had to scrounge for some Mini cables to supplement what Uniden included in the box. I'm also going to pick up a couple of right-angle adapters to ease the strain on the radio's USB port when a cable is attached.

Best from New Orleans...A.

rgore

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
why Uniden opted for the larger, older Mini-usb connector instead of the now-predominant and smaller Micro-usb?

The included wall wart is mini-USB that's why. Sorry, forgot they didn't include one..

I suspect it's due to saving ~ $0.01625 per unit, micro costs more than mini.
Invalid Request
Invalid Request

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone. I'm greatly enjoying my 436, but wonder why Uniden opted for the larger, older Mini-usb connector instead of the now-predominant and smaller Micro-usb? Virtually all of my existing cables and USB AC power adapters are Micro, so I had to scrounge for some Mini cables to supplement what Uniden included in the box. I'm also going to pick up a couple of right-angle adapters to ease the strain on the radio's USB port when a cable is attached.

Just a guess, but it may have been for backward compatibility with all the cables and radios already out plus it lowers cost to keep using what seems to be working as the new one will require both hardware changes and an increase in inventory items to keep track of.

rgore

Banned
durability??

Mini is less durable then the modern micro..

USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The newer Micro-USB receptacles are designed for up to 10,000 cycles of insertion and removal between the receptacle and plug, compared to 1,500 for the standard USB and 5,000 for the Mini-USB receptacle. This is accomplished by adding a locking device and by moving the leaf-spring connector from the jack to the plug, so that the most-stressed part is on the cable side of the connection. This change was made so that the connector on the less expensive cable would bear the most wear instead of the more expensive micro-USB device."

andyadler

Premium Subscriber
Agreed about the welcome migration away from a proprietary connector -- something that's always irked me about the 396xt. I am concerned about the durability of the 436's USB port, particularly because out now serves as a combination data and power port, meaning a great deal of use for me going from car to home, etc. On this front, Micro would have been preferable.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Mini is less durable then the modern micro..

USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The newer Micro-USB receptacles are designed for up to 10,000 cycles of insertion and removal between the receptacle and plug, compared to 1,500 for the standard USB and 5,000 for the Mini-USB receptacle. This is accomplished by adding a locking device and by moving the leaf-spring connector from the jack to the plug, so that the most-stressed part is on the cable side of the connection. This change was made so that the connector on the less expensive cable would bear the most wear instead of the more expensive micro-USB device."

Interesting information indeed, Thanks!

I was aware there had to be limits on insertion & removal so I chose to try and not use the one on the radio as the one I insert/pullout but the one on the computer. It appears that is backwards to what I should have been doing.

Since I am constantly making changes in my scanners I do a lot of insertion and removal of the cables so to me this is important.

rgore

Banned
It appears that is backwards to what I should have been doing.

Yes but replacing the USB port on a computer is much easier then the USB connector on the scanner. Modern computers come with several USB ports, if one breaks it's not the end of the world. Also, you could use a USB hub, if one of them breaks, use a different port on the HUB or get a new HUB.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Yes but replacing the USB port on a computer is much easier then the USB connector on the scanner. Modern computers come with several USB ports, if one breaks it's not the end of the world. Also, you could use a USB hub, if one of them breaks, use a different port on the HUB or get a new HUB.

I agree!

dkf435

Agreed about the welcome migration away from a proprietary connector -- something that's always irked me about the 396xt. I am concerned about the durability of the 436's USB port, particularly because out now serves as a combination data and power port, meaning a great deal of use for me going from car to home, etc. On this front, Micro would have been preferable.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

The connector on the 396 radios is not a proprietary connector but one of the EIAJ standard as is the connectors on the GRE PSR 500 and 600 radios. Sony, GRE and Uniden are some of biggest users of a standardized connector if their can be such a classification.

EIAJ connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

David Kb7uns

andyadler

Premium Subscriber
Well, I stand corrected on my "proprietary" reference. Still, I wish the 396xt simply used a standard USB port. Would make life considerably easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NUGEN

It's to use up all those Mini USB jacks and cables from the HP1 that no one bought :)

Just kidding... The HP1 was good while it lasted..

andyadler

Premium Subscriber
I just realized that the EIAJ-connector reference was for the DC-in jack, which was not what I was referring to. I was referencing the 396xt's data jack, which (as far as I know) IS proprietary, as opposed to a standard USB jack like the 436 now uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.