Why no more PRO-2055?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasby

I went to RS today to buy a PRO-2055 and they were out of stock in all the nearby stores. The manager said they are being discontinued. I thought this was one of their most popular and better selling mobiles. I want a decent mobile but I don't need digital so I'm not shelling out all that money for a 2096. Any thoughts on this?
Paul

wildcatmo21

Re: Pro 2055

When they were on sale 8/19/06, there was only one in Wichita ( population approx. 400,000) and it had the bad build date. So there may be some truth to that.

csuh13

Premium Subscriber
They are not discontinued and won't be in the near future. The warehouses are currently out because they are awaiting a new batch from GRE.

Sometimes entire districts will not have them, because there are few trunking systems (if any) in the area and RS would rather sell out of their non-trunking models.

Often, only 1 or 2 stores in a 30 store district will carry it because they have a history of selling base/mobile units. Most people buy the handhelds (like, 9 out of 10 people buy handhelds...)

If you ask, the manager can check all of the districts in his region (that's usually 200-300 stores) and get you a 2055 from one of them. They won't mind. It's not hard...

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
snjct2000 said:
I went to RS today to buy a PRO-2055 and they were out of stock in all the nearby stores. The manager said they are being discontinued. I thought this was one of their most popular and better selling mobiles. I want a decent mobile but I don't need digital so I'm not shelling out all that money for a 2096. Any thoughts on this?
Paul

Two thoughts on this, but only *speculation*, if the 2055 is truly discontinued (with a $$$.97, price tag).

1. Nothing has been said officially about re-banding for the 2055. The only reference I've seen was that it would need to be replaced for Motorola trunk scanning due to re-banding. However, the same chart also says the PRO-97 can be "reprogrammed" for the same reason. The two radios can be cloned, so they share a common firmware, so I'm not sure this holds water.
http://www.wpascanner.com/wiki/index.php/800Reband

The PRO-2055 Radioreference Wiki says the 2055 can be returned to a Radio Shack service center for firmware replacement, but nothing offical has been released to support that.

2. A high failure rate has occured to the LCD displays in several date codes, and is costing too much in rework, at the end of life production run.

Last edited:

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
PRO 2055 NOT Discontinued

It's just like csuh13 said....the Pro 2055 is not discontinued. All four of our stores in Santa Fe, NM have them in stock for the current price of $199.99.

Tim M.

Nasby

Just because they are in stock, does not mean they are NOT being discontinued. They may have been on the shelves for months. The RS manager in my area searched other stores within a 100 mile radius for a 2055 and could not find one. When he investigated further, he was told by many other RS managers in the area that the 2055 was discontinued.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
PRO 2055 NOT Discontinued

Hi,

I appreciate your frustration. However if you go to radioshack.com and look at the scanners, you will plainly see that the PRO 2055 is still available and is not discontinued. Right there on the web site it lists the models that are discontinued and the PRO 2055 is NOT one of them. The models that are discontinued always end in $XXX.97 just like another poster has already stated. Check it out. You can order one online if you really want one. Just because your stores don't have them in stock doesn't mean they are discontinued. If you want me to purchase one for you here in NM and ship it to you I would be happy to. Just send me Paypal or a money order and you can have your PRO 2055 within a few days.

Thanks,

Tim M.

cristisphoto

YEah but in stock for a website is different than a physical store\
\It's easier to ship for an order placed online than to have Evry single store have an OLDER unit in their stock....
So the manager probaly meant its discontinued from HIS stocks

Just a hunch

Crista\\

Besides Uniden's are SO MUCh better..
as wel is Icom //

mcema699

Does anyone have a logical explanation as to why the displays are going out on the 2055's and not on the 2096's? Looks like they would have the same drivers etc, for the displays.
My 2055 went blank today after only 2 months of "breaking it in", but my 2096 has been running for almost year. Yes, I know there are other threads on the display issue but I haven't seen this asked before.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The 2096 has a 12 segment display vs the 16 on the 2055, so that's a different part. Plus not all of the 2055s are dying, just the 09/05 date codes (and someone had a newer one go as well).

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Grog said:
The 2096 has a 12 segment display vs the 16 on the 2055, so that's a different part. Plus not all of the 2055s are dying, just the 09/05 date codes (and someone had a newer one go as well).

Better go take another look at the date codes involved.

KLH

Feed Provider
Just to let everyone know, the PRO-2055 is NOT discontinued, just out of stock at the warehouse. The item is still active, at the normal price, $199.99.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
DaveIN said:
Better go take another look at the date codes involved.

At that time, all I saw was one person who had a non 05 code. Plus I was on hour 14 of 16 hours :p Give a brotha' a break :lol:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Grog said:
At that time, all I saw was one person who had a non 05 code. Plus I was on hour 14 of 16 hours :p Give a brotha' a break :lol:

No worries :p I'm just wondering why it would be such a wide range problem?

mcema699

Because they hadn't discovered how widespread the problem was so they were still using defective parts?
Thanks Grog for the explanation. I hadn't really noticed that.

mancow

Database Admin
Two different people or more have found loose display flex cables. I would think that's probably it since some people have seen the displays come and go. If an LCD or driver chip was bad you would think it would be an all or nothing permanent thing.

52to12

Why wait?

After reading about all the problems with the PRO-2055 I returned mine,unused. I am ordering a uniden /BCT-15. Tandy Corp/Radio Shack is not willing to deal with the problem upfront. We are only reading about the problems encountered/experienced by the R.R. forum participants. How many other "scanists"/Radio Shack customers have experienced similar problems??

csuh13

Premium Subscriber
Grog said:

Plus, the 16 segment display is the exact same part as the Pro-97. I'm thinking the problem lies in the connector cabling or the machinery which installs it at the factory on the 2055 line.

Status
Not open for further replies.