Why not build in GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Especially with the handheld, why not build the GPS into the radio?

Cost. They would probably each cost at least $100 more, if not more. Not everyone uses the GPS feature so that extra cost for a feature they don't use would drive them away from purchasing. This way, those who want GPS can purchase it and those who don't aren't stuck paying for it.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention, with the ways people locate their radios in vehicles, built in GPS may not be able to lock on to the satellites.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I beg to differ. My ID51 D Star radio is clipped to my visor and I have no problem getting GPS signals. I think built in GPS is a great idea. What's another few bucks when you're already paying six bills?

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
I beg to differ. My ID51 D Star radio is clipped to my visor and I have no problem getting GPS signals. I think built in GPS is a great idea. What's another few bucks when you're already paying six bills?

Did you see the word MAY in my post? Your results are no guarantee that everyone would have the same results.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Why Not Built In GPS

I agree that it would have been great to have an internal GPS receiver. Or, if nothing else, offer it as an option that can install inside the radio. Similar to the CTCSS and pre-amp option of the BC760 era. Certainly it would add to the cost, but the GPS receiver itself isn't that expensive. As far as receiving GPS signals, I think having an external GPS antenna plug would have solved that, since it would allow an external GPS antenna to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.