why not CB and scanner in one unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zynorial

I really think there's a market for this. And YES they ARE possible.... just it's only available in australia and they don't do all the latest and greatest with trunking and freq hops. But the idea is there... the product is there.. just haven't been upgraded and brought stateside. I'd buy it.

Instead, I'm just gonna make it tho :)

Oh and it IS possible to setup a scanner to broadcast. Although like ppl have said, the cops won't "appreciate" it and it should be done in a discrete way. IE. "Hey there's a robbery at such and such" and then LEAVE. Don't introduce yourself and never BRAG about having it if you do decide to set something like that up. Just keep in mind, nobody is gonna like you being on their channels.

SCPD

QRT
What About A Ham/Trunking Handheld?

OK, I'll admit I only scanned some of the responses to this thread, so maybe I missed this, but what I don't understand is why Alinco/ICOM/Kenwood/Yaesu can't make a combination 144 or 220 or 440 HAM unit with TRUNKING capabilities?

I finished with CB/SSB back around 1982 when I got my Tech license, and have no need to ever go back to 27 MHz. But I'd love to have a 2 Meter handheld that cranks out a couple of watts so I can hit some repeaters, but could also triple trunk on 800 MHz.

All the manufactuers offer versions of 150 KHz to 1.3 GHz receivers as part of their handheld HAM packages, but not one, as far as I can tell, offer any trunking. WHY? Is it because there's no demand? Or is it technologically impossible? I don't get it.

Dave
KA6TJF

n5ims

OK, I'll admit I only scanned some of the responses to this thread, so maybe I missed this, but what I don't understand is why Alinco/ICOM/Kenwood/Yaesu can't make a combination 144 or 220 or 440 HAM unit with TRUNKING capabilities?

I finished with CB/SSB back around 1982 when I got my Tech license, and have no need to ever go back to 27 MHz. But I'd love to have a 2 Meter handheld that cranks out a couple of watts so I can hit some repeaters, but could also triple trunk on 800 MHz.

All the manufactuers offer versions of 150 KHz to 1.3 GHz receivers as part of their handheld HAM packages, but not one, as far as I can tell, offer any trunking. WHY? Is it because there's no demand? Or is it technologically impossible? I don't get it.

Dave
KA6TJF

It would be quite possible, technically, but doubt that the manufacturers believe that there's sufficient demand for such a product. It's pretty easy to make the existing receivers cover out-of-band (ham band, that is) operation without adding to the radio's cost. Adding trunking would add cost, however, since there are licensing costs associated with commercial use of nearly all of the trunking protocols. It may also require upgrades to the CPU and memory on the radios, also adding cost.

Since none of the major producers of ham radio products (save for Alinco, which I'll get to) don't make scanners, they may not see the opportunity in moving into that market. Now that GRE is at least selling Alinco products in the US, there may be an opportunity for this to be suggested. If you're serious about such a product, you may want to suggest this to GRE/Alinco. They've been attending hamfests with a combined booth this year, which may be your chance to get someone to actually listen.

This post (Alinco News - QRZ Forums) on qrz.com's forum has a contact you may try, Wayne Wilson, WR5S (an executive vice president at GRE). He was one of the folks at the DFW HamCom this year in the GRE/Alinco booth.

SCPD

QRT
It would be quite possible, technically, but doubt that the manufacturers believe that there's sufficient demand for such a product...

That's what I figured. The next radio I'm saving up for is a dual band ICOM 2M/440 with wideband receive. I can still use a unit like that to listen to the CHP, LA County Fire and Sheriffs, etc. So I'll just have to juggle two radios when I want to listen to the Orange County (CA) TRS on 800 MHz.

Dave
KA6TJF

JP-Hollywood

I had the Lafayette Radio CB with the VFO built in scanner. I used it to monitor LAPD back in the day (late 60s). Really can't call it a scanner as you could only listen to one freq at a time. However, in those days, the LAPD radio system was much simpler (a couple of dispatch freqs, Harbor with their own, and only 2 or 3 tac channels). For my purposes at the time it was fine and also included EMS south of Mulholland ("G" units out of Central Receiving where Rampart station is currently located) and various LAPD stations (I was even treated at the medical facility at the LAPD Hollywood back when they had one).

The concept of a CB (or substitute your flavor) radio and a monitor/scanner worked and allowed me to have only one radio in the car (where it was stolen).

JP

KB0VWG

Many years ago, 1970's era, Lafayette Radio Corp. had a C.B. radio with a tuneable v.h.f. high band ( 150-174 Mhz.) receiver built into it.

We sold some of those back in the late 70's or so when my Dad and brother had a cb store.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

JP-Hollywood

The fact that you can add CB freqs to various scanners does not really address what the OP originally asked. it was to have a radio that can legally transmit in some band such as CB and can also act as a scanner. The Lafayette Radio CBs directly addressed this type of request, they were limited and haven't been made for over 40 years but they illustrate what could be a product. Adding a transceiver to a scanner could be done but then what band would you put in it? CB as Lafayette did (I doubt it), Ham, GMRS, or commercial?

I think the answer to the original question is yes it can be done. Yes, it has been done years ago. No, it's not likely to be done in the near time future as it would be difficult to target the right band for inclusion.

For now, it requires two radios.

Just my thoughts as I watch the crowds blocking the freeways in downtown Los Angeles to protest the election results. Monitor CHP (LA) and LAPD for up to date information.

JP

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Back in the 70's and early 80's when CB was going strong and scanning was a far simpler endeavor, this may have been practical from a business sense so all the REACT monitors could listen to public service and be available on Channel 9 as well.

It's technically possible today, but, again from a business perspective, I doubt there would be a sufficient market to warrant the production and design costs versus potential sales.

Chance

Feed Provider
Oligranate,

There are no Police or Fire departments that dispatch on CB radio. So when you refer to CB, it sounds to me you really just mean the ability to transmit. So the reasons why you don't see the combination is because scanners are meant for receive only across a wide range of radio frequencies. Radios that transmit are "purpose built" and transmit on a limited set of frequencies. Like wise an antenna for a scanner is designed to pickup a wide range of frequencies and would likely not be tuned for transmitting on specific frequencies that you may be listening to. Put simply, almost anything can work to receive a specific frequencies, but to transmit on a specific frequencies you must have a properly designed antenna.

Technical limitations aside, you have stated your intent which has brought plenty of feedback, which I'll add to also.

First I absolutely applaud your intentions. Very few people in our society are willing to step up. You're one of the few. Please use the advice given here to get involved. Otherwise you the well-meaning good guy will be the bad guy. Going to a scene is the absolutely worst thing you can do 99.99% of the time. Notice I left the .01% That's a 1 in 10,000 chance that you might provide value over what the outcome would have been without you. The other 9,999 chances you will be on the wrong side with law enforcement.

I'm 40 and have been scanning contentiously since I was a teenager. I have yet to feel compelled to respond to a scene ahead of the professionals (VFD's included :) ). That's with first aid training and other training provided by our local FD where I have been on our Community Emergency Response Team for 10 years. I have helped in situations where I legitimately come upon the scene or saw it occur. But as said...I'm not touching victims when I know EMS is minutes away unless I believe my intervention would change the outcome. I do stay prepared should that opportunity ever present itself.

So please use reasonable judgement. "Engine 1 you're en-route to an MVA. Car's have pulled off into a gas station" versus "Is any unit available to clear for an roll-over MVA with ejection...caller reporting major loss of blood.....Any one? Requesting mutual aid from the county over......Engine BFE1 our ETA is 25 mins, can you give us directions...." then yea, that might be your calling. Just go.. No reason to even call in your intent.

Delta33

hello!
Ladies and Gentleman, please excuse my ignorance on the matter. I have almost no knowledge on the subject (which is why I am here, to learn). I am interested in having a scanner-type unit with which to receive police, fire and EMT transmissions. I would also like to be able to chime in on those transmissions when legal to do so, as well as use the same unit to do the 40-channel CB-ing.
Here is a scenario: I hear a transmission that there is a car accident and medical assistance is needed. I am only a block away, and being first aid-CPR certified, I can provide reasonable assistance until ambulances arrive. While listening to the accident report on the scanner, I grab the handset, squeeze the button and speak into the same channel that I am near by and can assist until help arrives.
I briefly looked on the internet for a CB-scanner combo in one unit and was shocked to discover that there is no such thing. Here is where my blissful ignorance comes into play! I just can't understand why there is no CB-scanner in one unit!
Thank you all for your input!
. There Never will be in the future either, for OBVIOUS reasons.

SCPD

QRT
Why not a mobile CB that has a scanner in it?This way you can save up dash space!
It wont transmit on VHF or UHF,just CB.It receives on everything else.Who wouldnt want
1 less radio?

bpckty1

I guess that would present some problems, because scanners nowadays are so much more complicated than years ago. We've graduated from crystals to keypad programing to computer programming, and trunked/digital systems, including phase I and II, LTR, Passport, and many of the other systems in use nationally. That would be too big a jump for CB manufacturers.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
In the usa this could be considered a violation of

47CFR 95.655b

And possibly, depending on how the controls are accessed 47 CFR 95.669

SCPD

QRT
ok

In the usa this could be considered a violation of

47CFR 95.655b

And possibly, depending on how the controls are accessed 47 CFR 95.669

Ok now since we're all not lawyers,what the heck is that?

Would make no sense because a CB next to a scanner is the same thing,right? 1 scanner 1 cb.
This would be the same two radios in one cabinet,analog or digital.
So the scanner is more complex nowadays,a CB is not that complex .

Status
Not open for further replies.