why not CB and scanner in one unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta33

Ok now since we're all not lawyers,what the heck is that?

Would make no sense because a CB next to a scanner is the same thing,right? 1 scanner 1 cb.
This would be the same two radios in one cabinet,analog or digital.
So the scanner is more complex nowadays,a CB is not that complex .
Since you're a Amateur radio op you SHOULD know what Fcc part 95 means, Right?

n5ims

Ok now since we're all not lawyers,what the heck is that?

Would make no sense because a CB next to a scanner is the same thing,right? 1 scanner 1 cb.
This would be the same two radios in one cabinet,analog or digital.
So the scanner is more complex nowadays,a CB is not that complex .

Those are the FCC rules and regulations. Specifically those detail some specific requirements that must be or must not be on a radio certified for use by the various Part 95 services.

95.655 --> https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.655
95.669 --> https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.669

SCPD

QRT
RF law

Those are the FCC rules and regulations. Specifically those detail some specific requirements that must be or must not be on a radio certified for use by the various Part 95 services.

95.655 --> https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.655
95.669 --> https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.669

Quoting 95.669.......
The FCC may authorize additional controls, connections or devices after considering the functions to be performed by such additions.

So it could be possible under that quote......

Really dont see the difference of having a scanner and a CB or having it in one cabinet.As usual the law office has taken the fun out of something.

KB7MIB

In the Australian and New Zealand markets, Uniden has a couple of radios that combine a UHF CB (their version of the GMRS in the USA) with a UHF scanner radio. Here's a link to one:

https://www.fmmagazine.com.au/sectors/uniden-uh8080nb-cb-2-in-1-uhf-scanner-and-radio/

What I'd like to see, would be a GMRS mobile transceiver with a 380-512 MHz (only) scanning receiver side-by-side in the same case, like a Ham 2m/70cm dual-band radio.

The GMRS side would cover the 7 interstitial channels with a menu-selectable power output of 1-5 watts so as to help the licensed GMRS user to select the appropriate power output depending on the gain of their antenna in order to stay within the 5 watt ERP limit of those channels; receive only of the FRS channels 8-14; and GMRS channels 15-22, with selectable power outputs of 5 watts minimum, and 40-50 watts maximum. It would have full CTCSS/DCS, as well as DTMF signaling. It would be narrow/wide selectable. One button press repeater-simplex selectable on the main GMRS channels.
The scanner side would have all of the latest digital modes and trunktracking capabilities of the current high-end scanners, but would limit its coverage to no more than 380-512 MHz, so that the circuitry and firmware could be optimized for the UHF band, instead of making compromises that are needed to cover the multitude of bands that regular scanners cover. (Keeping the scanner coverage in the same range as the transceiver, would also allow for better reception compared to using a CB antenna to try to receive VHF/UHF/700/800 as the BearTracker 885 CB/scanner combo appears to try to do. Unless it has a separate antenna connector for that? And a full fledged scanner would have better reception at a distance than just a "Close Call" type receiver, which at first glance is what the BearTracker 885 appears to have.)

A MURS version that combines a full-fledged MURS mobile transceiver alongside a 108-174 MHz digital trunktracking scanner would also be desirable to me.

I would use the scanner section to monitor all of the interoperable channels in their respective bands (VTAC's, UTAC's, local channels such as V-AIRS and U-AIRS, etc), emergency management (local as well as the Federal-State Incident Response, FEMA, Disaster Medical Response, etc) along with other selected channels that aren't used very often, or which I wouldn't want taking up memory space, or the time to scan them, in my regular scanners, such as the railroad channels, and perhaps the VHF Marine band.

I don't know how much of a demand these dual transceiver/scanners would have, but they're something I've been interested in seeing since I first ran across one of Uniden's UHF CB/scanner models, the UH-015SX I believe it was.

John
Peoria, AZ

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
In the Australian and New Zealand markets, Uniden has a couple of radios that combine a UHF CB (their version of the GMRS in the USA) with a UHF scanner radio. Here's a link to one:

https://www.fmmagazine.com.au/sectors/uniden-uh8080nb-cb-2-in-1-uhf-scanner-and-radio/

What I'd like to see, would be a GMRS mobile transceiver with a 380-512 MHz (only) scanning receiver side-by-side in the same case, like a Ham 2m/70cm dual-band radio.

The GMRS side would cover the 7 interstitial channels with a menu-selectable power output of 1-5 watts so as to help the licensed GMRS user to select the appropriate power output depending on the gain of their antenna in order to stay within the 5 watt ERP limit of those channels; receive only of the FRS channels 8-14; and GMRS channels 15-22, with selectable power outputs of 5 watts minimum, and 40-50 watts maximum. It would have full CTCSS/DCS, as well as DTMF signaling. It would be narrow/wide selectable. One button press repeater-simplex selectable on the main GMRS channels.
The scanner side would have all of the latest digital modes and trunktracking capabilities of the current high-end scanners, but would limit its coverage to no more than 380-512 MHz, so that the circuitry and firmware could be optimized for the UHF band, instead of making compromises that are needed to cover the multitude of bands that regular scanners cover. (Keeping the scanner coverage in the same range as the transceiver, would also allow for better reception compared to using a CB antenna to try to receive VHF/UHF/700/800 as the BearTracker 885 CB/scanner combo appears to try to do. Unless it has a separate antenna connector for that? And a full fledged scanner would have better reception at a distance than just a "Close Call" type receiver, which at first glance is what the BearTracker 885 appears to have.)

A MURS version that combines a full-fledged MURS mobile transceiver alongside a 108-174 MHz scanner would also be desirable to me.

I would use the scanner section to monitor all of the interoperable channels in their respective bands (VTAC's, UTAC's, local channels such as V-AIRS and U-AIRS, etc), emergency management (local as well as the Federal-State Incident Response, FEMA, Disaster Medical Response, etc) along with other selected channels that aren't used very often, or which I wouldn't want taking up memory space, or the time to scan them, in my regular scanners, such as the railroad channels, and perhaps the VHF Marine band.

I don't know how much of a demand these dual transceiver/scanners would have, but they're something I've been interested in seeing since I first ran across one of Uniden's UHF CB/scanner models, the UH-015SX I believe it was.

John
Peoria, AZ
885 has 2 antenna posts. CB and bnc.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

KB7MIB

Two antenna connectors. Thank you.

Is it just a "Close Call" type of scanner? I have to go read the thread.

John
Peoria, AZ

KB7MIB

I finally got around to reading the 885's thread. Interesting radio.

I forgot to add, and the thread reminded me, in a MURS transceiver/VHF digital trunktracking scanner combo, I'd also want to have a NOAA receiver with SAME alerting. So, it'd be a triple combination MURS transceiver/VHF digital trunktracking scanner/NOAA All Hazards receiver.

John
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.