Why not include GPS as a built in feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9nwo

We are seeing more amateur radio units with built in GPS. ICOM has a D-Star radio with it. And Yaesu has had several radios with GPS built in.

Especially with handheld radios having a GPS outboard means lots of wires. It is neither hard to do or all that expensive.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Why Not Include GPS As A Built In Feature?

I have seen saying that you years now. It has been discussed here in the past. You can do a search to read previous posts on that topic.

dkf435

Most GPS that I have seen are very noisy and are pulling a good amount of power.

A handheld GPS needs one shielded 3 conductor wire to hook up to a radio.

David Kb7uns

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
GPS in cell phones works well without interfering with radio significantly, or excessive power consumption. It can be done well, it's just a matter of cost.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Most GPS that I have seen are very noisy and are pulling a good amount of power.

GPS in cell phones works well without interfering with radio significantly, or excessive power consumption. It can be done well, it's just a matter of cost.

Jon is correct. GPS is doable in a radio, and doesn't appreciably interfere if done right. It's a question of how much you want to pay. My Yaesu APRS-capable handheld ham radio operates beautifully.

At the risk of assuming things, I suspect Uniden believes that they can't sell a radio with a GPS for a price point that customers will approve of.

JoeyC

People gripe about the current pricing being too high for digital scanners. Factor in a GPS unit and the price climbs even more, not to mention that many people probably have NO use for a GPS in their scanner, so fewer sales still.

W6KRU

Joey is correct. I have no need for a GPS. Having the HP and recording "features" forced upon me is bad enough. Now I have to pay for GPS that I will never use either?

Voyager

Joey is correct. I have no need for a GPS. Having the HP and recording "features" forced upon me is bad enough. Now I have to pay for GPS that I will never use either?

The recording features cost almost zero in additional circuitry - if not literally zero additional. (as opposed to a GPS which would be around $80-90 more)

That said, I would love to see a plug-in GPS module option. But, testing for non-interference across such a wide spectrum would be a pain. The manufacturers have gone to great lengths to eliminate nearly all birdies, and now would have to do all that work again.

For me, one thing against GPS in-unit is the fact that the scanners are often mounted low in the vehicle which is not ideal for a receiver, and before someone pulls the external antenna card, the BC-GPSK is virtually the exact same thing, so the antenna isn't really fixing the issue.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
For me, one thing against GPS in-unit is the fact that the scanners are often mounted low in the vehicle which is not ideal for a receiver, and before someone pulls the external antenna card, the BC-GPSK is virtually the exact same thing, so the antenna isn't really fixing the issue.

Only if you're a moron and put the external GPS receiver puck under the seat or something. If you put it up on the dash, velcro it to the windshield, etc it will get better reception than an internal GPS would.

I would like to have the option of installing an internal GPS to reduce wiring clutter and allow GPS use when hiking, camping, etc.

Voyager

Only if you're a moron and put the external GPS receiver puck under the seat or something. If you put it up on the dash, velcro it to the windshield, etc it will get better reception than an internal GPS would.

I would like to have the option of installing an internal GPS to reduce wiring clutter and allow GPS use when hiking, camping, etc.

Not sure how your reply relates to my comments, but...

I was talking about the internal GPS. When your scanner is mounted low in the vehicle (in a console or under the dash), your GPS antenna will be in the same location.

And if you want to run an external antenna (to a suitable location such as the dash - not under the seat), you may as well run the BC-GPSK.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Not sure how your reply relates to my comments, but...

I was talking about the internal GPS. When your scanner is mounted low in the vehicle (in a console or under the dash), your GPS antenna will be in the same location.

And if you want to run an external antenna (to a suitable location such as the dash - not under the seat), you may as well run the BC-GPSK.

Straying mildly off-topic (kind of ironic in a thread about GPS), but for what it's worth, my Garmin GPS18 (the cousin of the GPSK) has lived in the footwell of my vehicle(s), originally inadvertently, now as a matter of practice, without issues. I get a good fix and adequate position from it. GPS devices are much more tolerant these days - I can even get a cold start fix on my VX8GR in an internal room in my house (no windows to the outside) quite often.

Voyager

Straying mildly off-topic (kind of ironic in a thread about GPS), but for what it's worth, my Garmin GPS18 (the cousin of the GPSK) has lived in the footwell of my vehicle(s), originally inadvertently, now as a matter of practice, without issues.

And that works beside mountains or buildings?

Voyager

Kewl. Regardless, I hope they do add an internal GPS. That would be especially nice in the HT where the configuration is much more of an issue. I know my GPSs have trouble between buildings getting a lock on the location. (I'm talking 10 to 60+ story buildings)

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I like the idea of the built-in gps, but it would have to have an external antenna option. A single wire to run for the external antenna would have made things much easier (for me) than dealing with the serial connector and short extension along with the 12-5vdc converter.

As far as interference goes, I had a 2011 Dodge Ram, the gps-18 on the dash, would work fine sitting in the driveway, but it would go into "searching for sats" as soon as I started driving. I tried moving it to the top of the windshield, still no success. It HAD to be outside to keep a solid signal. I also tried a different gps(Magellan sport track), you could see the sat signals drop off as soon as I started the truck.

I had similar problems in a couple of cars I've had. I tried using the gps on the rear deck, while it held the satellites pretty good they would go into "searching" randomly, sometimes for miles. I suspect the problem was some metallic film in the window tint. The solution was the same though, had to move the puck out to the trunk lid.

Current truck, '14 Dodge Ram, no problems with gps-18 on the dash. Still would like to have a one-wire antenna out on the roof. Hmmm, maybe another winter project for me to look into.

Jeff.

yaesumofo

David Kb7uns

I guess it depends on how you define these things.

Low Power Gps Receiver Module Skynav Skg13 - Buy Skynav Skg13,Skylab,Gps Receiver Module Product on Alibaba.com

This unit only uses 30-40mA.
Thats very little power.

this one http://www.nooelec.com/files/SKM53_Datasheet.pdf

slightly more. Power consumption is negligible.
Noise on the signal is easily dealt with.
Dave are you kidding.
The reason they don't install these chips EVERYWHERE is COST.

Uniden would rather lower the cost of manufacturing (bill of goods) that make it higher.

A GPS module can easily add several dollars to the BOM. the GPS module could end up being the most expensive component in a scanner....

Adding GPS is cheap.... but it is not so cheap that Uniden will automatically design it into all of their new radios.
Lets face it this has not been a great year for Uniden.
They are cutting every corner they can on their "flagship" radios. these units will be with us for years to come since Uniden will NOT want to spend R and D on SDR radios (the next big thing in radio tech). it better for them to wait until there are off the shelf bits available vs doing research and developing new tech and patents.... LIKE THEY USED TO.

Yaesumofo

Status
Not open for further replies.