why should i buy 700/800 MHz radio?

ASAD

There is a listing on eBay for Motorola radios that cover 700/800 MHz band. I was wondering what's on this band? The price is within reasons, and the radios look good. May be I should buy one. I searched the frequency database here, there are very few frequencies from that band in my county. There is no amateur band on 700/800, right?

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Motorola radios? Those sound like commertial radios that need advanced programming (to never associate with a system), i.e. retired police or fire equipment. Programming a Motorola is an itch from what I hear. Unless you know what you're doing, I would steer clear.

Can you post a link to the listing or one similar?

However, UsedRadios.com will program them for you I believe. If this is who is selling you should be good

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
There is a listing on eBay for Motorola radios that cover 700/800 MHz band. I was wondering what's on this band? The price is within reasons, and the radios look good. May be I should buy one. I searched the frequency database here, there are very few frequencies from that band in my county. There is no amateur band on 700/800, right?

Lots of public safety and state systems are on it. You don't share your county/state so we really can't tell you if it is worth it for you, but many systems around the country have made the switch.

But as @StoliRaz said, they require an advanced programming knowledge with hard to find software, and may be password protected so you can not program them without it. While they may receive better than a scanner there are many issues with them being bought on sites like fleabay and others. Stick with a scanner.

ScannerSK

There is a listing on eBay for Motorola radios that cover 700/800 MHz band. I was wondering what's on this band? The price is within reasons, and the radios look good.
The eBay radios you reference are likely non-digital radios if the price is low. Most of what is found in the 700/800 MHz band is digital (cellphones and trunked radio systems). Most Motorola radios cannot be programmed by the average user. I would certainly start with a scanner first. The least expensive handheld that can receive/decode most systems is likely the Uniden/Bearcat BCD325P2.

ASAD

Motorola radios? Those sound like commertial radios that need advanced programming (to never associate with a system), i.e. retired police or fire equipment. Programming a Motorola is an itch from what I hear. Unless you know what you're doing, I would steer clear.

Can you post a link to the listing or one similar?

However, UsedRadios.com will program them for you I believe. If this is who is selling you should be good

It is sold by;
bluehousesupply
  • (28587)
  • I do have the VHF Motorola XTS 5000. I use it for amateur band and wx listening.

ASAD

The eBay radios you reference are likely non-digital radios if the price is low. Most of what is found in the 700/800 MHz band is digital (cellphones and trunked radio systems). Most Motorola radios cannot be programmed by the average user. I would certainly start with a scanner first. The least expensive handheld that can receive/decode most systems is likely the Uniden/Bearcat BCD325P2.
I have a scanner BCD536HP. The car I bought it for was stolen last month :( It's sitting on the shelf now.
You raised a good point - non-digital. I will confirm that with the seller. He says the radios were just retired from their EMS. I think the county is selling these. What do you think?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You raised a good point - non-digital.

Without knowing the model number or flash code, assuming it's "non-digital" would not be a good idea.
If it's an XTS or newer radio, it's digital capable. Wether or not it has the digital function turned on would depend on the flashcode.

There's a lot of older XTS series radios dumped on e-Bay that may support P25. The XTS-3000's usually are dirt cheap, but you can find good deals on XTS-2500's and 5000's if you keep your eyes open.

I will confirm that with the seller. He says the radios were just retired from their EMS. I think the county is selling these. What do you think?

Look closely at the condition. Some public safety radios do NOT lead an easy life.

If it comes with a battery, assume it's bad and be ready to order a new one.

Same with the antenna, antennas take a lot of abuse.

Find out what the flashcode is, and make sure it has the features you want before buying it. akardam.net Flashcode Decoder R05.03.05

There are no amateur radio frequency allocations in the bands these 7/800MHz radios cover. There is no "FRS", "GMRS" or "MURS" like frequencies in 700/800MHz. Receive only is all you can legally do with these radios unless you work for an agency/business that has a license and they are willing to let you add your own radio to their system.

Your scanner is much more flexible.

The audio on these Motorola radios can be much better than what your scanner will do.

You'll need the correct programming software and cable. Not hard to get, not expensive.

Software has a steep learning curve. But there's lots of help on this site.

If it's a mobile, they are not always as simple as "plug it into the cigarette lighter". If you are looking at remote head, make sure all the parts are there.

merlin

The eBay radios you reference are likely non-digital radios
It doesn't matter if they are digital, analog, or capable of both. Transmitting any emiision on the 700/800 Mhz band is against FCC ruels and violates laws without having the proper authority to do so. Vrbotin ground is what I call it.
Many of those former public safety radios on feebay are capable of both.

merlin

Best advice here is use a scanner for 7/800. If you just gotta have Motorola, Harris, Tait etc. get a different or multi band that at least you can use. (If you are licensed to do so)