Why Uniden and GRE should be (very) worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Indeed. And...for those of us that like to play with this stuff today, we already have, in my opinion anyway, a scanner that blows away Uniden's offerings. Two RTL dongles, UniTrunker, VBAudio Cable or Virtual Audio Cable, and DSD construct a scanning system with multi-tiered prioritization, visual display of the entire system in operation, and digital decoding. Sure it takes a little work and patience to cobble it all together. And OK...it doesn't scan conventional frequencies. But add a 3rd dongle and SDR# and you're in business. So now we're up to a whopping $60 or so. Yikes, the possibilities.

The majority of folks won't want to cobble the above together because it's not their niche. Wouldn't it be great to see a Kickstarter for a scanner project as you suggest. That would be a kick in the pants for the major players. I have to wonder if those that have the wherewithal to produce such things as HackRF, bladeRF, Airspy, etc., would even consider doing so for something as "mundane" as a scanner. I think instead they would suggest to you (the end user of their product) to "roll your own" as we already have thanks to the above listed components.

The bottom line in my book is that those RTL dongles have changed the world with regards to the radio hobby at VHF and higher, and they are the catalyst for many more robust things to come. Whether scanners are numbered among those things? Only time will tell. :)

While I agree the Cheap SDR is a wonderful thing when accompanied with the setup Scott described, it's in no way a substitute for a BCDx36HP, IMHO, with exception to the DMR decoding while using DSD+. I love the display in SDR# and HDSDR. The ability to look at the radio spectrum, and the decode possibilities are endless, but there is no real replacement in the HP-1 Extreme and or the x36HP in the price category for monitoring abilities, for trunked and conventional P25 (OR Phase 2). I highly recommend to anyone interested in the cheap SDR to check it out. It's cheap, fun, and a great tool for monitoring. It's just not the answer for all monitoring possibilities, just another tool in the box.

D

DaveNF2G

Ditto scancapecod's remarks above. Also, though, it would be nice if it were all more portable. I'm picturing putting multiple SDRs into a package like the Raspberry Pi or similar device, with equivalent software that would run on that platform.

jdobbs2001

The only way you will see TRBO in a uniden is if the Sheriff in UPMAN's county switches to TRBO

And you would need a new 600 dollar scanner. The bearcat 6xxx series which will include new wifi capabilities and a new capability called siren.

Last edited:

n5ims

The only way you will see TRBO in a uniden is if the Sheriff in UPMAN's county switches to TRBO

Sheriff is way to large to work with TRBO in his county (they use a P-25 Phase II system) so that won't be what does it for UPMan. Now there are quite a few TRBO systems around (many should be heard from his office and home) so perhaps that may help push him in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.