Why Uniden offer less firmware update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miller

Why Uniden offer less firmware update to cheaper ones?

I am curious about the attitude of Uniden to SC230, BR330T. They offer huge improvement to BC246, BCD396, but don't offer the same improvement to SC230, BR330T. Can anyone tell me why Uniden don't support firmware update as equal to all products, even less expensive ones?

For example, BCD996 updates 10 enhancements (7 applies BR330T) in http://www.uniden.com/files/BCD396T Firmware Revision Notes.pdf , but BR330T just change bandplan for 225-400MHz.

And BC246T updates 19 enhancements (11 applies SC230, too.) in http://www.uniden.com/files/bc246tvup_2_05.htm , but SC230 just updates 4 enhancements for Racing system in http://www.uniden.com/files/SC230VUP_V2_01.htm.

Last edited:

gregmoss

Excellent point you've made!! I don't understand this either, nor is anyone from Uniden answering our questions about it. Why don't they support firmware updates as equal to all products? BR330T just change band-plan for 225-400MHz that's it! SC230, br330, are Great scanners also, minus the support that the others receive. Hmmm :}

richster

I would image the reason why the latest firware update for the 330T seemed kind of skimpy compared to the 246T was beacuse it did need it.

The 330T was released around late October, a few months after the last 246T latest firware release.

Here is a thread (back in September) where UP-Man is stating that they are tweeking the latest firmware on the 330T eventhough the scanner has not been released yet.
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14869&page=7

I would imagine that these "tweeks" incorporated all the improvments in the latest 246T firmware release such as faster switching between systems and what not.

That's in my most humble opinion.

Regards,
Richster.

GTO_04

Because the 396 is more complicated (it's digital), it needed more updates to deal with digital systems. It had to deal with digital decoding, AGC etc. These are features not available on the other cheaper scanners that don't have those issues to deal with.

GTO_04

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
What firmware fixes are needed for the other radios?

rhutch

miller said:
For example, BCD996 updates 10 enhancements (7 applies BR330T) in http://www.uniden.com/files/BCD396T Firmware Revision Notes.pdf , but BR330T just change bandplan for 225-400MHz.

And BC246T updates 19 enhancements (11 applies SC230, too.) in http://www.uniden.com/files/bc246tvup_2_05.htm , but SC230 just updates 4 enhancements for Racing system in http://www.uniden.com/files/SC230VUP_V2_01.htm.

The 996 already has 10 updates and isn't even released???

It might also have to do that all the scanners are different, updates aren't allways adding features mostly they are correcting problems. So some models (usually those with more feature ) might have more problems. Also on some models the problems might not be software related so flashing with new software isn't going to help you.

Also as they aren't relaeased at the same time some of the improvements and fixes might have been done prior to their release. So you just can't go and do a simple count. If there is a specific problem that can be fixed by new software and they don't offer new software, then I'd say you have a point for them not offering equal support, but your argument based on the number of software releases doesn't really point to poor support for those products.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
As I've mentioned before, I'd like to see 1KHz step size and multi-site trunking for the BR330T. Fire Tone Out and Search and Scan for the BC246T.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Those are new features above and beyond - not "firmware updates" as miller refers to.

miller

rhutch said:
Also as they aren't relaeased at the same time some of the improvements and fixes might have been done prior to their release. So you just can't go and do a simple count. If there is a specific problem that can be fixed by new software and they don't offer new software, then I'd say you have a point for them not offering equal support, but your argument based on the number of software releases doesn't really point to poor support for those products.
The Fact is that Uniden didn't treat each product as equally. BC246 updates following fixes should apply SC230.
1. Adds UHF TV Screen
2. Changes the “All Locked” error message to “Nothing to Scan”
3. Increases Close Call Pause to 10 seconds

Above fixed isn't done to SC230. I didn't just count the number and check if the fixed really apply. You can check each fix line-by-line to justify. That's why I curious what Uniden think --- expensive ones like BCD996, BC246 deserve more firmware fixes.

Last edited:

rhutch

miller said:
The Fact is that Uniden didn't treat each product as equally. BC246 updates following fixes should apply SC230.
1. Adds UHF TV Screen
2. Changes the “All Locked” error message to “Nothing to Scan”
3. Increases Close Call Pause to 10 seconds

Above fixed isn't done to SC230. I didn't just count the number and check if the fixed really apply. You can check each fix line-by-line to justify. That's why I curious what Uniden think --- expensive ones like BCD996, BC246 deserve more firmware fixes.

Do those radios have those problems????

rhutch

Well if you are totally unsatisfied with the products as it seems from this and other threads you've posted, you should return your product and find one that can actually meet your needs. Every product can't meet everyones needs, maybe this is just the wrong scanner for you. Just wondering what other scanners do these things you need better?

miller

rhutch said:
Well if you are totally unsatisfied with the products as it seems from this and other threads you've posted, you should return your product and find one that can actually meet your needs.
I'm not totally unsatisfied with Uniden. As most fans I ask them to tweak better function. What I post here is improvements I think they should fix. Generally speaking, I rate it 80 out of 100. But they can do better.

rhutch

miller said:
I'm not totally unsatisfied with Uniden. As most fans I ask them to tweak better function. What I post here is improvements I think they should fix. Generally speaking, I rate it 80 out of 100. But they can do better.

No you seem to be demanding changes on a public forum. Guess what people read this stuff and say I'm not buying Uniden because there is all this negative stuff. If crap like that goes on long enough, and enough people are persuaded to not buy Uniden, Uniden might just stop making scanners. Then there goes your 80 out of 100 radios. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be critical or suggest improvements but reading your posts here and on others threads you'd think that they were crap and Uniden doesn't support them, which is far from the truth.

miller

rhutch said:
I'm not saying that you shouldn't be critical or suggest improvements but reading your posts here and on others threads you'd think that they were crap and Uniden doesn't support them, which is far from the truth.
Why Uniden people don't clarify such question? The truth is they SC230, BR330T needs more support. I had said in the previous posting : " Summary: Generally speaking, BR330 is excellent wide-band scanner compare to Japanese alternatives. And more custom feature for non-US user should be appraised. Custom broadcast screen helps me avoid 166, 280, 285MHz pager. Thanks UPMAN and Uniden!!" You seems forgettable about this!

Last edited:

RobnzBoy

To be honest, I consider the lack of firmware updates for the BR330T to be very encouraging. That makes me believe that Uniden did it right the first time.

fireant

I feel for Uniden they make a good product hits the market and there are some bugs they address them in a firmware upgrade to fix them and still get bad mouthed about it. I own the 246,330 and a 396. I admit some things would be nice but I am satisfied with the products. These products are made by humans so nothing will be perfect lets just be thankful for the contribution uniden has made to scanners and our abiltiy to monitor.

fireant

Status
Not open for further replies.