Why we tell people to NOT use magmounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
And that's all that matters.
No one is going to show up at your house, twist your arm and force you to drill a hole.

True. Sometimes I respond not for the sake of the person tho posted but for others who will come along. Some cannot be convinced. Their vehicle to damage, not mine. I should let it go sometimes but the “give the best advice always” mentality takes over.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
How long was the magnet up there? And we need pics of the new NMO lol.

2 years? Maybe 3. Have to think about it for a bit. Lots have happened in My life in the last 3 years

Power is run, but the radio is not installed yet.

Currently I have a NMO-2/70, but I am not keeping my TM-V71A in my car. I am replacing it with a VHF XPR-5550. I’m debating putting a VHF 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave on. This location had a square hole for the factory GPS/SiriusXM antenna for the Nav system on the next trim package up from my car. The square hole had a plastic/rubber plug that was secured with a plastic nut from inside. Simple to remove. The hole was slightly smaller than a NMO, so we made it round.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
'bout freakin' time. I was getting ready to drive up there and drill the hole in the middle of the night while you were sleeping.

Oh, wait a minute, I just told someone I'd never do that…..

You kept threatening to drill it... but never did. Lol. Timing was right and a friend has a proper bit to do it.

Just need to get some screws to mount the RF deck under my seat, and mount the control head on my console.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Turned out looking good.

Thanks. It turned out nice. I really like the black antenna on the car. What ever I do end up putting on there will also have to be black. No stainless steel whips, and no hammy garbage(Comet, Diamond, Tram, or MFJ) either. PCTel, Maxrad, Antennex or Larsen only.

Beautiful countryside there. Been a while since I've been up that way.

It is. I’m missing BC. I was supposed to do a trip to the Okanagan to visit my dad and brother and to have a celebration of life for my mom in April, but Covid-19 changed that. Maybe later this summer, depending on how things go.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It is. I’m missing BC. I was supposed to do a trip to the Okanagan to visit my dad and brother and to have a celebration of life for my mom in April, but Covid-19 changed that. Maybe later this summer, depending on how things go.

Oh, man, sorry to hear that. COVID has messed up a lot of things.

I hope you get out there soon.

dvendt

Permenant installation is great if you don't have a tall vehicle that barely fits in your garage. Now using a swing down lip mount NMO. Tired of bending antennas.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Permenant installation is great if you don't have a tall vehicle that barely fits in your garage. Now using a swing down lip mount NMO. Tired of bending antennas.

Funny you mention that. My in-laws have a condo in Edmonton, about 45 minutes away, that my wife and I occasionally stay at(they live full time on an acreage about 1.5hrs west of Edmonton now) and I was taking the magmount off the roof when we parked in the underground parking. That actually likely accounts for some of the damage. Now I have to actually remove the antenna to park under ground. I don’t mind. Lip mounts/fold over mounts/fold over antennas just don’t appeal to me. They are a compromise I’m just not willing to make.

dvendt

Funny you mention that. My in-laws have a condo in Edmonton, about 45 minutes away, that my wife and I occasionally stay at(they live full time on an acreage about 1.5hrs west of Edmonton now) and I was taking the magmount off the roof when we parked in the underground parking. That actually likely accounts for some of the damage. Now I have to actually remove the antenna to park under ground. I don’t mind. Lip mounts/fold over mounts/fold over antennas just don’t appeal to me. They are a compromise I’m just not willing to make.
Tough for me to climb up on the roof of my truck to do that. Fused spine and bad hips.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
A good read Thanks to all contributors.

My CTD Dodge has waited years for both a NMO mount and puck mount (Breedlove).

A WORKMAN-brand triple mag-mount Starpad Launcher has carried an uncomplaining PRESIDENT-brand “Texas” Antenna awhile. (13’ clearance).

Holds a quarter-wave 102” with potbelly spring as well.

On a roof at 6’, what’s a few scratches?

Removing it takes a plan, though. One man with the release key set. The other to pick it up once the anti-grav protocol locks release.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

On an old truck or something, maybe not much. But, it's more than just a few scratches - mag mounts are known to be a compromise and sub-par performers compared to properly mounted antennas. Of course, some may come along and say "works fine for me" and perhaps that's true, their standards may be lower or they may be fine with the performance they are getting. But, the thread explains why mag mounts should be frowned upon and used only very temporarily. If someone chooses not to heed such advice that is certainly their choice...but it doesn't mean that some of us won't still explain the reasons.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

It's a personal thing. Some of us like to look after our vehicles, some don't.

Antennas work better when they have a proper ground plane. Magnet mounts use capacitive coupling to make that happen. Yeah, it works but it comes at a slight cost. A capacitively coupled ground plane isn't as good as a real connection to the ground plane.

This is why you won't see police cars/fire trucks/ambulances running around with mag mount antennas. When lives are on the line and things need to work 100% of the time, you don't screw around with compromises.

But for CB, ham radio, scanners, sure, it's your vehicle and if you want to put up with paint scratches, that's your choice.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
On an old truck or something, maybe not much. But, it's more than just a few scratches - mag mounts are known to be a compromise and sub-par performers compared to properly mounted antennas. Of course, some may come along and say "works fine for me" and perhaps that's true, their standards may be lower or they may be fine with the performance they are getting. But, the thread explains why mag mounts should be frowned upon and used only very temporarily. If someone chooses not to heed such advice that is certainly their choice...but it doesn't mean that some of us won't still explain the reasons.

Italicized tongue-in-cheek got past ya, huh?

1). The Breedlove mount mentioned first.

2). Unlikely electro-mag antenna mount release came last .

BUT THAT IS the product name.

Having read your other posts I appreciate the diligence. (Thx to all).

(Watch out for grammar; that hook set on first nibble, both you boys)

Best

Status
Not open for further replies.