WI-FI DONGLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

se

Hello All.

Stupid question. But am I supposed to connect the Wi-Fi to my BCD536HP in order to be able to download firmware updates to the BCD536HP? Or is there a setting I need to set first on the scanner?

Thanks Sheldon.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hello All.

Stupid question. But am I supposed to connect the Wi-Fi to my BCD536HP in order to be able to download firmware updates to the BCD536HP? Or is there a setting I need to set first on the scanner?

Thanks Sheldon.

Firmware updates are done through the Sentinel software.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
At this point the WIFI dongle doesn't serve a purpose. Uniden the the dongle manufacturer are working out some issues with the firmware in the dongle. Once they do, the firmware for the dongle will have to be updated.

At this point, my WIFI dongle is resting comfortably in a desk drawer.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You are correct. There has been one firmware update for the scanner itself.

Scanner firmware and WIFI dongle are separate "creatures" independent of one another.

se

HI.

Ok Thanks.

I think the USB cable that came with my scanner is damaged because nothing happens when I try to do the firmware updates from Sentinel, I emailed UNIDEN about that. The scanner screen doesnt chance neither, it stays on ID SCAN. Can anybody tell me where the USB settings are in Windows 7 Home Premium?

Sheldon.

AC2OY

Sheldon
Plug the scanner into the PC then turn it on, hit the key with the decimal point in the bottom left of the keypad to trip the scanner into serial mode. If that doesn't work try uninstalling and reinstalling the software!!! Good luck!!!!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
hit the key with the decimal point in the bottom left of the keypad to trip the scanner into serial mode.

Serial mode is NOT used for firmware updates. The OP needs to put his scanner in "mass storage" mode to update the firmware.

JamesO

Anything programming related requires you to choose "Mass Storage" mode. This means the SD card will be communicated with directly.

"Serial" is basically for remote or virtual control of the scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Ok Thanks.

I think the USB cable that came with my scanner is damaged because nothing happens when I try to do the firmware updates from Sentinel, I emailed UNIDEN about that. The scanner screen doesnt chance neither, it stays on ID SCAN. Can anybody tell me where the USB settings are in Windows 7 Home Premium?

Sheldon.

When you plug the USB cable in your scanner, the scanner's screen should say something like: USB Cable Detected, Select USB mode. Mass Storage="E" / Serial Port="."

If you are not seeing that, it is possible the computer end isn't plugged all the way into a USB port on your computer. Or there may be an issue with the port itself. Most computers have several USB ports and you should try a different one. Or if you have a port that you know is working because other devices operate, you can try that one, just to confirm it isn't a cable.

This would be the first time a bad USB cable report has been posted in this forum. But there is never a history of something happening until it happens the first time.

From what I've read in other posts, the cable used by Uniden is a standard cable - nothing special was manufactured for scanner use. You may have a comparable cable somewhere from other electronic devices (cameras, etc.) that could work in its place.

JamesO

If you have a cell phone charger with the same cable, it should trigger the Serial/Mass Storage prompt.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
This would be the first time a bad USB cable report has been posted in this forum.

Actually, there have indeed been reports of bad cables posted:

Apparently the USB cable Uniden sent was bad.

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...sb-cable-sd-card-error-536hp.html#post2117527

The included cable would not work.

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...4-bcd536hp-no-usb-connection.html#post2124265

Among others.

se

I figured that it had to be a bad USB cable and since I paid alot of money for this scanner as did other BCD536HP owners, Im not buying a replacement cable. I emailed Uniden and attacked a copy of my sales receipt last week and asked them to send me a replacement USB cable. I hope UPMAN reads this.

Sheldon.

sfd119

...in the meantime can you try a known good cable to make sure it isn't you.

al95

They should send you a replacement cable free of charge. My tablet had a bad power cord emailed tech support all of my info including an attachment with my receipt. The tech emailed me back with a tracking number two days later it was in my hands. Good customer service for a $129.99 tablet. I hope uniden replaces yopur usb cord for its $$$$ scanner.

sfd119

They should send you a replacement cable free of charge. My tablet had a bad power cord emailed tech support all of my info including an attachment with my receipt. The tech emailed me back with a tracking number two days later it was in my hands. Good customer service for a $129.99 tablet. I hope uniden replaces yopur usb cord for its $$$$ scanner.

Until you plug in that replacement USB cable and find out that one doesn't work either because it's something wrong with your computer.

sfd119

Im hoping they do the right thing. And no I do not have another USB cable to try. ;-)

Sheldon.

I would find one. I'm betting Uniden will want you to try one first as that's probably apart of the troubleshooting process. You can pick one up at a dollar store or thrift shop pretty cheap.

se

Hi.

Do you work for Uniden? Can you please go into greater detail about how its my computer thats causing my problem? Im annoyed! I think I have stated before but maybe not that Ive tried my wireless keyboard/mouse combo in all the USB ports and it works fine.

Sheldon.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Hi.

Do you work for Uniden? Can you please go into greater detail about how its my computer thats causing my problem? Im annoyed! I think I have stated before but maybe not that Ive tried my wireless keyboard/mouse combo in all the USB ports and it works fine.

Sheldon.

And the above proves little. Way too many other possibilities s well as bad cable, but I've only had one flaky cble in my life.

Grab one at any neighborhood store for a couple bucks and try it. dime a dozen at a yard sale :)

Or try that cable on something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.