Wiced DHCP Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake68111

Just checked devices connected to my wireless router and noticed that a "WICED DHCP CLIENT" was connected to my router.

Is this my wifi dongle from the 536?

If it is, that's cool because it should be there but if its not, well, I'd like to block it as it would be an unknown.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Just checked devices connected to my wireless router and noticed that a "WICED DHCP CLIENT" was connected to my router.

If it is, that's cool because it should be there but if its not, well, I'd like to block it as it would be an unknown.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

You could always unplug the dongle and see it if goes away.

Jake68111

My router is finicky like that.

It doesn't ALWAYS allow me to see what's connected to the network and I'm not sure why. I'm not so sure if it would correctly display what's connected even if I disconnect the module.

I can tell you this, it wasn't there BEFORE I owned the 536.

If I cannot get a definitive answer, I will go this route and post back with the findings.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Kevin, you are in the field. Would that fall in line with a module like the 536's module?

Would the dongle have anything to do with DHCP?

That's out of my area of expertise, but it's feasible.

Or it could be some other WiFi enabled device in your house, like a fancy thermostat or refrigerator.

Jake68111

Thanks for the input Kevin!

Yeah, it will be my luck that I disconnect the module, check and no matter the result, not be able to get the signal back between the scanner and the router. I know how my luck goes. :-(

http://www.broadcom.com/products/wiced/ <------ This caught my attention and is the reason for the wonder. Pretty much the same info already posted.

Last edited:

JamesO

Yeah, it will be my luck that I disconnect the module, check and no matter the result, not be able to get the signal back between the scanner and the router. I know how my luck goes. :-(

The scanner connected to the WiFi is of no use now anyway. It will be a while before you even need to worry about that.

All you need to do is turn off the scanner and the WiFi dongle should power down as I do not think Uniden was wise enough to design the WiFi to stay powered up when the scanner is turned off to allow a remote turn on of the scanner.

Do you my chance have any weather monitoring equipment that is network capable? Could be anything from a remote metering device, thermostat to god knows.

If your WiFi is secured in some fashion, then likely you would have had to configure the device as well.

bama9999

All you need to do is turn off the scanner and the WiFi dongle should power down as I do not think Uniden was wise enough to design the WiFi to stay powered up when the scanner is turned off to allow a remote turn on of the scanner.

Since the 536 has a physical on/off switch, I don't believe that remote turn on would work too well...

JamesO

Since the 536 has a physical on/off switch, I don't believe that remote turn on would work too well...

Yes, BUT if someone would use their brain in a design, they could have added a Standy/Sleep mode that could have been network/remote controlled. This would have required the WiFI dongle to stay energized and/or for a mobile installation, the scanner could have used an ignition sense wire to wake up the scanner or toggle the scanner power to on.

Along with all of this there would have been some configurable options for power in the scanner. Maybe a count down timer after loss of ignition sense in a mobile application. Standby options, options for power a return to operating state after power failure and so forth.

Kind of like a computer going into Sleep mode in a way, no hard switch required.

The scanner could have still had the hard switch to fully shut everything down.

But again, I doubt anyone asked or considered any of these options.

Maybe there are some hooks in the hardware that these type of features could be added, but unless the hooks are there it is too late for the 536HP.

bama9999

James, I get what you're saying. One thing that I had forgot about was that the 536 has the auto shut off feature that will power the scanner down after a certain amount of time, leaving the mechanical on/off switch in the on position. At least that's what I think happens, as I've never used that particular function on my 536. So that being the case, if it was shut down that way, if the dongle was still "live" as you mentioned, it shouldn't be a big deal at all to bring the scanner back up remotely.

JamesO

James, I get what you're saying. One thing that I had forgot about was that the 536 has the auto shut off feature that will power the scanner down after a certain amount of time, leaving the mechanical on/off switch in the on position. At least that's what I think happens, as I've never used that particular function on my 536. So that being the case, if it was shut down that way, if the dongle was still "live" as you mentioned, it shouldn't be a big deal at all to bring the scanner back up remotely.

I HIGHLYdoubt the WiFi dongle and/or supporting circuitry is still powered up when the scanner shuts down.

I know there is sleep timer configured in the scanner, the 436HP has a soft switch, not paid a lot of attention to my 536HP as I think I have only used the switch about 3 times!

What would be the bomb is if someone could hack the 536HP so an ignition sense wire can turn the scanner back on. Probably some sort of flip flop might able to wake the scanner up??

The way Uniden should have designed the scanner would have been to utilize the 2 separate power connectors for different purposes.

Coaxial wall wart power input should have allowed the scanner to go into standby with the WiFi running and the scanner should have been capable to remotely powering up and down via the WiFi app.

The 3 pin plug power connector should have been 4 pins, adding an ignition sense wire to wake up the scanner with a user programmable delay of up to 30 seconds after the vehicle is started. This is because standby current would need to be limited to 15-20 mA.

Programmable auto shut down on loss of ignition sense, delay after loss of ignition sense or remote shut off from smart phone App.

Would also be useful for a 12 Volt triggered output for external powered speaker or RF preamp or other devices.

A lot of this would not be too hard or expensive if it was planned into the design, even if there was an interface for an external "box" to address some of these features.

Maybe if I ever get some free time an I am bored I might look into how the power circuitry functions.

eaf1956

Feed Provider

Thanks in advance,

Jake

WICED DHCP Client 192.168.0.9
BCD 536 HP connected to WIFI

Jake68111

I've had my module attached and connected to the network since day one as well. I fully believe the app is on its way but I don't understand how the "techies" on the forum can't get into the module.

Does Uniden have the module "locked up"?

Knowing the manufacture and it obviously connecting to the network, what is stopping anybody that has knowledge about stuff like this from making something that works with it?

The scanner has "FULL" potential that I don't think we are to far off from seeing but I'd also like to think that third parties would have access to that as well. What "could be" could be huge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.