Wichita Falls P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I was up in Wichita Falls for the past few days and noticed some differences between the information in the Database and what's actually happening on the system.

I noticed some unencrypted activity on the Police 48-58 talkgroups, however, the database shows these talkgroups to be using full encryption and not partial encryption.

I also noticed activity on the "Fire Training 1" talkgroups that was not training related, such as fire tones and dispatches. This talkgroup sounds to be more like a station alerting talkgroup.

Can anyone in the area confirm if changes need to be made to the database?

nd5y

I don't have phase II so I don't know exactly what is going on now. The first couple years the FD was stuck on phase I for some reason and I know they did a lot of radio reprogramming a couple years ago and now there is very little clear phase I traffic. All I can do now is look at what Unitrunker shows.

All of the PD talkgroups were originally strapped encrypted, even back on the old EDACS ProVoice system.

Did you hear both sides in the clear?
Did you hear half of a conversation clear on an encrypted TG?
Did you hear only occasional clear transmissions?
Did keep track of the TGs you heard? Do you know if it was any of these?

TGs 1048 - 11058 might have been changed to shared interop talkgroups or something now.
I have noticed fire dept RIDs on them in the past couple years but it was alwlays phase II and usually encrypted.

I have noticed for years that occasionally a single transmission on encrypted PD talkgroups will revert to unecrypted phase I for some reason. That also happened back on the EDACS system where a single transmission on normally encrypted ProVoice talkgroups would revert to clear analog.

One night a year or so ago the SWAT team had one radio with messed up encryption keys or something that caused it to transmit in clear phase I for a long time when they were working a standoff and everybody else was still encrypted. This seems to be happening more frequently now.

I have noticed in recent months the control channel will intermittently stop and make a steady tone instead of the data for a fraction of a second, sometimes repeatedly at random intervals, like something is failing. It would not surprise me if the whole system crashed due to mismanagement or technical incompetence. They still haven't even programmed the correct callsigns in the controller.

Did you notice (if you have any way to tell) if Fire Dispatch and Training 1 were patched? They have been doing that a lot lately. That is probably what you heard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.