Wichita Radio Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipster67

I would NOT suggest using the Radio Shack on north maize road. These people are morons. A few weeks ago the short fat manager tried to tell me that the pro-106 could decrypt the encrypted channels that the WPD uses. I just laughed at him and said the the FCC would never allow that. I mail ordered a Pro-106 from elsewhere. When it arrived the Yellow rechargeable battery pack was missing. Not a big deal, crap happens. I called the 800 number from Rat shack and was told to just go by the local store and they would fix it. These idiots wanted me to pay 7 bucks even if I did have a sales receipt in hand. Then I said, fine I'll just return it with my receipt. They told me, "Well if a part is missing, you can't return it." I was more than pissed. I called a rat shack back from my old home town. With in 3 minutes, my replacement part was ordered and a confirmation number was issued. At the suggestion from the store back home, I called back to this store and asked for the "District Manager's" name and number. They hung up on me 3 times. And Yes I was nice how I asked, well at least the first two times. Sad thing is, as I was calling them I was watching a samsung tv I got from them 5 months ago. On my desk I have 2 Pro-106's a 163, 164 and a 197, Never will they get a dime from me. If you know of a good scanner shop in the area, please please let me know.

ksduster

Weather enthusiast
Feed Provider
The only shack worth going to for radios/scanners is Derby Shack..
Always good customer service. (not that you didnt know that already) edit : -I re-read the last sentence in the post above, and realized that he may not know this... )

Last edited:

RadioDaze

I think some of the RS stores are independently owned and operated. At most RS stores, I've encountered at least polite and courteous service, if not always the most knowledgeable. Sounds like your store was the independent type.

Call the FCC and tell them that there's this RS store offering to sell radios to the general public that decode encrypted transmissions...

(Just kidding.)

n0lqt

The VAST majority of Radio Shacks are Corporate Stores. The ONLY dealer/franchise in SG County is Derby. They can sell anything they want and just a little or up to the entire RS line. The next closest dealer is in Hillsboro.

Just curious what store did you buy the Pro-106 from that it came without a Ni-Cad pack? It sounds like it was a "re-pack" that had either been sold previously and returned or was on display.

Best thing to do is call the 800 number, 1-800-The-Shack (800-843-7422). They will forward you on to the District Office to deal with the complaint. This area's DM is big on Customer Service also. As you just proved; "a satisfied customer tells three people, a dissatisfied customer tells thirty."

The Store number is 01-8598 for N Maize Rd.

It is unfortunate that RS has chosen to go away from the traditional Radio Shack image and sales plan. in the 60's thru the 90's they were your best source for hi-tech toys and answers. Now they only care about two things from their employees. When they sell their first cellular phone of the day and when they sell their second cellular phone of the day.

dgruver911

As a former RS employee, I can echo the sentiments. That job is the ONLY job I've ever walked out on. At that time, they had a certification program designed to teach employees about the products and how to speak intelligently about them. So how did you get certified? Those like me who cared and tried to help customers read the books and took the tests honestly. Then you go to the mandatory district meetings, and they bring everyone in, hand them the test and read off the answers. So much for knowledge. Then we get a new manager, one who had been with the company for years, and as I recall it took about a week of him berating me for spending time actually answering customer questions for me to get mad enough to walk out after he said "just get something in their hands and get them out the door and move on to the next one."
Now they don't hardly carry anything I need or can't get cheaper at Wal-Mart. Sad. And they probably wonder where all their customers went.

If they really do have a DM who cares about customer service now, good for them. But I bet there's still a lot of the old school out there who don't. And yes, if you do need the good stuff and people that CARE, go see Mark and the crew in Derby.

dgruver911

Oh and BTW, when I tried to talk to the DM and explain WHY I walked out, he said he didn't want to hear it. He said anybody that would walk out of one of his stores wasn't worth his time.

joekansas

Well, that oughta be reported higher up the ladder. Some heads will be rolling. I woulda figured he would at least humor you and take notes for a report- then throw the report in the trash~ Not just dismiss you right off the bat!

tipster67

I talked to the DM today and got the normal, "yeah I'll look into it" crap. I did share how many of you guys did sing the praises of the Derby store. No, no matter what I was told, I will ever spend another dime in a wichita store. Derby will get all my future sales. Thanks to all who responded.

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
JD, Dave W. and myself were the last of the scanner guys at RS Wichita. I moved the store that was at 31st & Seneca to Pawnee & Broadway , using my personal truck & trailer. (they didn't even offer me gas) The 31st street store was known as THE "scanner"store for many years, and a lot of scanner junkies hated seeing that store go. I distributed my 97 programming all over the different RS's in Wichita, but they didn't really care, so I gave up on that idea. While I worked there, I sold about 200 Pro-97's, plus a few 96's. I had people from all over the area coming to the store I worked at. After I got fed up with the whole RS BS, I finally walked too. I've offered my programming to them a couple of times since then, they look at me like a deer in the headlights, they are truly clueless these days.
The day I got my PSR-500, I drove over to Derby and gave my programming to Mark, he shares it freely. As I make updates he gets them.
RS employees are non- techie, McDonald's failures forced to push cell phones. Most of the the managers who are left, are also pushed by the DM (total idiot) to push cell phones and nothing else! If you have to buy from RS - go to Mark in Derby, otherwise just order GRE products from ScannerMaster, they are friendly, efficient, and quick.

redhelmet13

JD, Dave W. and myself were the last of the scanner guys at RS Wichita. I moved the store that was at 31st & Seneca to Pawnee & Broadway , using my personal truck & trailer. (they didn't even offer me gas) The 31st street store was known as THE "scanner"store for many years, and a lot of scanner junkies hated seeing that store go. I distributed my 97 programming all over the different RS's in Wichita, but they didn't really care, so I gave up on that idea. While I worked there, I sold about 200 Pro-97's, plus a few 96's. I had people from all over the area coming to the store I worked at. After I got fed up with the whole RS BS, I finally walked too. I've offered my programming to them a couple of times since then, they look at me like a deer in the headlights, they are truly clueless these days.
The day I got my PSR-500, I drove over to Derby and gave my programming to Mark, he shares it freely. As I make updates he gets them.
RS employees are non- techie, McDonald's failures forced to push cell phones. Most of the the managers who are left, are also pushed by the DM (total idiot) to push cell phones and nothing else! If you have to buy from RS - go to Mark in Derby, otherwise just order GRE products from ScannerMaster, they are friendly, efficient, and quick.

I worked in RS Corp Support for 18 years before they decided our department was non core valued and outsourced it. The RS I hired into is a mere memory and those who were part of it before Len Roberts (Lizard) know what I am talking about.

Not to plug a website but radioshacksucks.biz is where unhappy current and former employees vent.

KD0LWU

The one at Kellog and Rock used to be decent for scanners and info, but no more! As far as I know all the RS stores in Wichita suck!

I've been dealing with Mark and Shawn in Derby for twenty years, nothing but great service! If they don't know it, they know someone that does! If they don't have it, most likely they can get it! I promise it's worth the drive.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I interviewed with a DM from davenport,Ia. about 3 years ago and was given the standard "canned crap what would you do if..."babble then I stopped the interview and said LOOK! I have 25+ years in electronics as well as a assoc. degree so let's talk about what your store can offer ME?
He came down to earth and said r/s has a unwritten policy to NOT hire prev. experienced personnel because they don't fit into r/s idea of a suitable employee!
I told him the real world side of the r/s future as I see it and left. The store in no longer there now.
n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.