Wichita Simulcast still working on my BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
It's just that you might move the radio 20 feet away and it won't work. That's why I tell people to try it and see if they are happy before just buying a new radio. Sometimes you do get lucky.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
It's just that you might move the radio 20 feet away and it won't work. That's why I tell people to try it and see if they are happy before just buying a new radio. Sometimes you do get lucky.
You are correct..if I move the antenna 1" from where it is,I get very little but for now it works for me next week may be different.🙄

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If it's a stationary setup you can try a yagi to dial in just 1 site. If you've got a site really close by sometimes you can use an antenna built for a different band. It can help tune out distant sites while still preforming well enough to receive a nearby one. Simulcast can be a real pain

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
If it's a stationary setup you can try a yagi to dial in just 1 site. If you've got a site really close by sometimes you can use an antenna built for a different band. It can help tune out distant sites while still preforming well enough to receive a nearby one. Simulcast can be a real pain
I am using the stock telecoping antenna that came with it and its doing great as the video shows.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
Is there a manufacturer that makes an antenna with the bnc connector for this radio that is 800mhz specific?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My environment is not that touchy. Radio Shack, GRE, the new Whistlers, and all Unidens work just fine, anywhere in my office which is in the corner of my home. I live in the middle of a 12 site simulcast system. I have a SDS200 to compare them to and there honestly is no difference. I'd sell the SDS200 if it wasn't for it's nice display!

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Is there a manufacturer that makes an antenna with the bnc connector for this radio that is 800mhz specific?

Depends on exactly what you are trying to accomplish. If you are wanting to mount an outdoor antenna there are plenty of options in all sorts of configurations. Most good quality commercial marketed outdoor antennas are going to have a type N fitting on them in that frequency range. Which is fine as you will want a small jumper to go from your feedline to your scanner for strain relief, which is where you'll convert to bnc. If you're wanting a smaller indoor or portable setup there are some that have the feedline already attached. I have several of them that came with SMA fittings but you can get an adapter to get BNC for anything you come across. Check out 'The Antenna Farm'. They have plenty to choose from and I have always been satisfied with them. If you do decide to mount an outdoor antenna make sure you get good quality coax suitable for the frequency you are wanting to monitor. The best antenna can't overcome loss from bad coax.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
My environment is not that touchy. Radio Shack, GRE, the new Whistlers, and all Unidens work just fine, anywhere in my office which is in the corner of my home. I live in the middle of a 12 site simulcast system. I have a SDS200 to compare them to and there honestly is no difference. I'd sell the SDS200 if it wasn't for it's nice display!
Do you live in the Wichita area?
Im up north of Wichita.

peterjmag

Where in Park City do you live? You are most likely receiving the strongest signal from the KDOT Tower at 45th and Hillside. It makes sense to me since you are on the north most fringes of the all the towers and not in the middle of them say in like downtown. Glad it's still working for you. Happy Scanning!

peterjmag

I live at Kellogg and Main in downtown and am using a RH77 that is line of sight with the downtown site "Garvey Center" crystal clear 100% no issues. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.