• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

wide area & group scan questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Hi all,
I've a few questions relating to both wide-area and group scanning.

I note that wide area scan, compared to ProSound / ProScan is relatively unsophisticated - as soon as the control channel is lost for more than a predetermined time, and if the system is designated with 'neighbours' to wide-area scan, the MT will initiate a wide area scan to find a valid control channel. My query here is, what intelligence, if any, is applied to the choice of the system to change to? For example, if I go out of coverage of one system that had 5 neighbours designated, and the MT can see 3 control channels of those 5, whats to stop wide-area scan from camping on a weaker (sub-optimum) system? I've noticed that the MT seems to make the most appropriate choice most of the time, and was wondering if that was by accident/coincidence or by some design?

The MT that I'm using doesn't seem to have Option 6 (wide area scan ProSound/ProScan) enabled, yet the MT will definitely WA scan. Is WA scanning included in option 2 or 4?

Just a quick diversion: I didn't understand MA-COMs description for 3-site scan, option 2. Can someone explain that one?

And lastly the group scan query. Lets say I'm camped on group X, and then begin NON-priority group scanning. Group Y becomes active and I hear it, but simultaneously group X becomes active. I presume the low speed data on the working channel indicates that group X has become active and my MT will then change back to group X to hear it, given that its the group I began the scan from.
I've noted that this feature can often 'false' - scanning, lands on an active group, then tries to switch to another group that in reality isn't active. Has anyone else observed that, and has there been any proposed solutions?

Thanks,
Jason

JungleJim

In Wide Area scan the radio will scan the systems programmed into the scan list for the system you are on that is in WA scan. You can see this on the system setup screen on the EDACS tab down at the lower left corner. As you said it is basic so the radio will just go through the list and stop on the first one with a valid control channel. There is also a consideration for priority system scan where a preferred system can be designated as the priority and the radio will go to it when in WA scan if it is available. This is an extra feature.

You may or may not see the option in the menu list for WA scan because Macom has bumped it from an optional feature to standard.

As far as your group scan issue, if the radio scans off of one talk group to a non-priority talk group the radio will only jump back when the selected one becomes active if it was designated a priority. Either by user programming with the add/delete buttons or by fixed priority programming through Programmer. There is an option in the scan options tab of Programmer to set the selected talk group as Priority 1, this is most commonly used and is probably how your radio is set up.

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Thanks JJ, that explains a lot for me.
It appears as if the WA scan can have a degree of 'intelligence' added by programming in the systems in a particular order to suit the most anticipated site to site transitions, taking into consideration the location, topography and neighbouring sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.