Wierd reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrak

I am receiving 94.1 MIX FM on 116.400 AM in Tucson AZ, I don't think this is a Tucson radio station. I would listen to it more but I just can't stand the music they are playing.

daleduke17

Looks like you got either Amarillo, TX or Las Vegas, NV. Try and get a callsign and that could help out.

Dunno why it would be on an aircraft band freq, other than possibly an image. Are there any transmitter towers near where you are?

Astrak

Yea there are three of them about 3 miles from my house. I would say it is probably just an image or mayber interference from the cable lines in the house or something I have no idea.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi guys,

"Try and get a callsign and that could help out."

Yeah, good luck. Since the FCC dropped the callsign ID requirement and satellite driven robot stations took over the radio dial it could be anything from soup to nuts. Luck would have it you're hearing Houston like everybody in every major market area in the US does, the same four Clear Channel stations or some other dumass network. Broadcast DX has been a waste of time for years, ever since the change there's no way of knowing what you're hearing and the local flavor has soured, every station sounds the same.

Hmmm, there's 22.3MHz of separation here so check out the receiver specs, that just could be the first conversion IF frequency. FYI, the transmitter and even the studio is seldom in the city of license but isn't all that far away. For example WRAT 95.9 is supposed to be here in Point Pleasant but it's actually in Lake Como several miles north and in a different county too. Oh cheers, it's an independent and has real people at the controls and two really cool "Ratmobile" vans but I can't stand the "music" either. (;->)

Astrak

I don't know I can't listen to the music for more than 1 minute. I was just asking in a roundabout way if it is possible for a FM broadcast station to be transmitting like that?

kc4jgc

Astrak said:
I don't know I can't listen to the music for more than 1 minute. I was just asking in a roundabout way if it is possible for a FM broadcast station to be transmitting like that?

Hearing an FM signal image in AM? Is that even possible? I don't think so....

kb2vxa said:
Since the FCC dropped the callsign ID requirement and satellite driven robot stations took over the radio dial it could be anything from soup to nuts.

I didn't know about that requirement drop either. Maybe that explains why the LPTV stations in my area don't ID any more. The local radio and full service TV stations here still ID hourly.

Status
Not open for further replies.