wierd sounding transmission on 121.500 in the uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty111

im currently tuned into 121.500 in the uk and am hearing a wierd transmission which is on 24/7 here is the file which i have recorded: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6EVS1LTH
is 121.500 still used in the uk as a distress frequency or has it been scrapped in the uk?

it sounds like a data transmission but not an ELT which i have ever heard.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
im currently tuned into 121.500 in the uk and am hearing a wierd transmission which is on 24/7 here is the file which i have recorded: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6EVS1LTH
is 121.500 still used in the uk as a distress frequency or has it been scrapped in the uk?

it sounds like a data transmission but not an ELT which i have ever heard.

Your link just seems to go to the download page for the file sharing service.

This page tells you about the 121.5 switch-over.

http://www.gasco.org.uk/pages/news_item.asp?i_ToolbarID=1&i_PageID=363

marty111

where file is uploaded

yes thats because i uploaded the audio file to mega upload
so people can download and listen then hopefuly let me know
what the sound means :).

Hooligan

yes thats because i uploaded the audio file to mega upload
so people can download and listen then hopefuly let me know
what the sound means :).

What the other guy tried to tell you is that the URL you gave us doesn't show us how to DL the audio file. Clicking on a "download" button just invites us to download some commercial software.

marty111

its constant

its constant with small silent breaks in between ( when it starts again you can hear a faint beep noise)
i thought it was wierd to be hearing that on the freqency where i am ( im not near any water/airport)

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
its constant with small silent breaks in between ( when it starts again you can hear a faint beep noise)
i thought it was wierd to be hearing that on the freqency where i am ( im not near any water/airport)

That is sure a mystery to me. Do you have anything like this in the UK

https://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/sd_pages.main

where you can do a search?

I did notice there was quite a bit of what sounded like background noise of whatever. Is it possible that it is something that is actually on another freq and is close by and strong? Maybe on a birdie or harmonic? How did you find this? By manually tuning in 121.5 or during normal scan?

marty111

i found it by tuning the channel manualy could be on another frequency but dosnt come up
on the close call facility ( so its not near by) i have tried the frequencies near 121.5 but there is nothing on any of those frequencies. I have tried searching google but to no avail.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Your first link is fine. People need to learn to enter capchas!

The sound sample might be some kind of phase shift keying which could be a type of teletext. Thought it was ACARS, but that isn't it.
There must be some issue with their site then, cause I tried it three or four times last night and nothing, took three times to make it start downloading this time. The second one he used hooked on the first time.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
i found it by tuning the channel manualy could be on another frequency but dosnt come up
on the close call facility ( so its not near by) i have tried the frequencies near 121.5 but there is nothing on any of those frequencies. I have tried searching google but to no avail.
Frequencies nearby 121.5 could give you bleed-over if it is strong, but what about harmonics. The first harmonic of 121.5 is 243.0.

Here is something interesting I just ran across while searching for harmonic info:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1989STIN...8924512M

marty111

i have just brought the frequency up on my dedicated airband scanner and it appears to be quite close
as i have turned the squelch up to 5 and i can still har it ( i am using an external aerial) however on the standard aerial i can not hear the signal wierd eh??

marty111

having said that i think it is being transmitted intentionally as before the audio starts there is a series of clicks ( like something is keying up for example) its hard to explain could it be that 121.5 has already become dissused in the uk ( it was due to be decommissioned on jan 31st i beleve)

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
having said that i think it is being transmitted intentionally as before the audio starts there is a series of clicks ( like something is keying up for example) its hard to explain could it be that 121.5 has already become dissused in the uk ( it was due to be decommissioned on jan 31st i beleve)
I don't know what the plans are there but on this side of the pond I believe it is being retained as what is called a Gaurd Frequency.

marty111

it would appear to be bleed over as i have just herd traffic control on the freq ( very faintly)
this is very intresting:

Reference: ATSIN 11
Title: Provision of Emergency Frequency 121.500 MHz
Description: This ATSIN describes the current CAA policy on the provision of emergency frequency 121.500 MHz at Air Traffic Control Units.
Review Comment: None
Version:
Date: 22 April 2002
View File: N/A
Purchase Copy: N/A

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.