• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Wifi and Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
1,397
Should a Wifi signal interfere with scanner reception? Since my office just got a wifi network up and running I have noticed I don't get as good reception.
 

PRO2006

Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
112
cstockmyer said:
Should a Wifi signal interfere with scanner reception? Since my office just got a wifi network up and running I have noticed I don't get as good reception.
The wifi stuff is up over 2 GHz so it should not interfere, plus it is spread spectrum and the power is distributed across a farily wide transmit bandwidth. The spread spectrum allows a much lower power output compared to a fixed frequency channel that is trying to carry a lot of data. I suppose a wifi unit could generate some odd image frequencies well below 2 GHz, but the power level would be very low. I just don't think wifi is causing your problem.
 

cstockmyer

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
1,397
PRO2006 said:
The wifi stuff is up over 2 GHz so it should not interfere, plus it is spread spectrum and the power is distributed across a farily wide transmit bandwidth. The spread spectrum allows a much lower power output compared to a fixed frequency channel that is trying to carry a lot of data. I suppose a wifi unit could generate some odd image frequencies well below 2 GHz, but the power level would be very low. I just don't think wifi is causing your problem.
I was kind of hoping it would be something simple like Wifi, Thanks for the response though!
 

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 8, 2002
Messages
2,620
Location
AOA
I can't say that WiFi kills my scanner, but I did have a network card go bad in my computer and just made my scanners deaf!

Charles, start turning stuff off to see what might be reducing your reception on your scanners.
 

cstockmyer

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
1,397
abqscan said:
I can't say that WiFi kills my scanner, but I did have a network card go bad in my computer and just made my scanners deaf!

Charles, start turning stuff off to see what might be reducing your reception on your scanners.
Great idea, Thanks Erik!
 

rankin39

Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
367
Location
Western Leavenworth Co., KS
A lot of high frequency devices have oscillators running at much lower frequencies, or they generate spurious emissions from other sources. My wireless router (2.4 GHz.) and my telephone (900 MHz.) both generate interference on both high band and 400 MHz. There's no question about it. Keep your scanning antenna as far as possible from WiFi and other wireless sources (and computers generally).
Bob, w0nxn
 

captaincraig44

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Messages
794
Location
Arvada
I consistently run my radios right along side my laptop with wifi and bluetooth turned on and don't notice any change in reception with either or both turned on or off. Actually, I also have a wireless mouse going most of the time too and still no ill effects (reception-wise, the third arm is another story . . .) :)
 

n0nhp

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
721
Location
Grand Junction
There is a real nasty RF noise source that I have had to track down and disconnect at several incidents;
It is known as a SNAP server. These little servers turn a whole network into a large, wideband rf noise source. The network guys always moan and cry when I kill the server but I point out that without radio communications to the field, we don't need to even have a network.

In other words, take the antenna off of a handheld scanner or better yet an amateur handheld with an S meter on it and start sniffing around the network.

Bruce
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top