Wifi and Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

Should a Wifi signal interfere with scanner reception? Since my office just got a wifi network up and running I have noticed I don't get as good reception.

PRO2006

cstockmyer said:
Should a Wifi signal interfere with scanner reception? Since my office just got a wifi network up and running I have noticed I don't get as good reception.

The wifi stuff is up over 2 GHz so it should not interfere, plus it is spread spectrum and the power is distributed across a farily wide transmit bandwidth. The spread spectrum allows a much lower power output compared to a fixed frequency channel that is trying to carry a lot of data. I suppose a wifi unit could generate some odd image frequencies well below 2 GHz, but the power level would be very low. I just don't think wifi is causing your problem.

cstockmyer

PRO2006 said:
The wifi stuff is up over 2 GHz so it should not interfere, plus it is spread spectrum and the power is distributed across a farily wide transmit bandwidth. The spread spectrum allows a much lower power output compared to a fixed frequency channel that is trying to carry a lot of data. I suppose a wifi unit could generate some odd image frequencies well below 2 GHz, but the power level would be very low. I just don't think wifi is causing your problem.

I was kind of hoping it would be something simple like Wifi, Thanks for the response though!

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I can't say that WiFi kills my scanner, but I did have a network card go bad in my computer and just made my scanners deaf!

Charles, start turning stuff off to see what might be reducing your reception on your scanners.

cstockmyer

abqscan said:
I can't say that WiFi kills my scanner, but I did have a network card go bad in my computer and just made my scanners deaf!

Charles, start turning stuff off to see what might be reducing your reception on your scanners.

Great idea, Thanks Erik!

rankin39

A lot of high frequency devices have oscillators running at much lower frequencies, or they generate spurious emissions from other sources. My wireless router (2.4 GHz.) and my telephone (900 MHz.) both generate interference on both high band and 400 MHz. There's no question about it. Keep your scanning antenna as far as possible from WiFi and other wireless sources (and computers generally).
Bob, w0nxn

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
I consistently run my radios right along side my laptop with wifi and bluetooth turned on and don't notice any change in reception with either or both turned on or off. Actually, I also have a wireless mouse going most of the time too and still no ill effects (reception-wise, the third arm is another story . . .) :)

n0nhp

There is a real nasty RF noise source that I have had to track down and disconnect at several incidents;
It is known as a SNAP server. These little servers turn a whole network into a large, wideband rf noise source. The network guys always moan and cry when I kill the server but I point out that without radio communications to the field, we don't need to even have a network.

In other words, take the antenna off of a handheld scanner or better yet an amateur handheld with an S meter on it and start sniffing around the network.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.