Wifi Blu Ray Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Just thought I'd put a post up to help save anyone else any grief.

First a little background... One of our little ones fed our DVD player part of their peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I can only hope that rather than it being a case of "I'm done with this, I'll put it here" they instead had the insight and imagination to say "Maybe if I put my sandwich in here I can watch the peanut butter and jelly MOVIE!" Regardless of who it was (no one is confessing for obvious reasons) or why they did it, I found myself in need of a new DVD player. So I headed down to the local Wal-Mart, rather annoyed that this purchase would put me another $50-100 away from someday being able to upgrade my now ten year old radio scanner.

It was then that I realized it had been a long time since I had shopped DVD players! These things now come with all sorts of goodies including wi-fi, youtube, pandora, netflix, etc. Cool! I of course went for the one that had the most apps listed on the box since they had several brands on sale for 98 bucks and gladly made my purchase, no longer annoyed that I was further in the hole from getting a new scanner nor was I upset that my one of my progeny had attempted to feed their leftovers to my home entertainment system. I was now the proud owner of a samsung blu ray player that came with a gazillion apps and only cost me $100 or so out the door.

I get it home, I hook it up and Oh. My. Gawd. this thing was more fickle than my five year old when you're trying to feed her brussel sprouts. It kept forgetting my internet settings. It wanted an update every time I selected a different app. Half of the apps (including Netflix) refused to work at all. Now I'm ready to ban all Samsung devices from my home along with any and all peanut butter, jelly and white bread. After a day and a half of my weekend wasted trying to update firmware, google error messages and mutter profanities instead of relaxing and watching me some netflix, I box the thing up and take it back. I exchange it for the magnavox, because the idea of watching netflix on the big TV sans a computer is just too tempting.

I get the magnavox home and hook it up. Flawless. Works without wanting anything other than my wifi password to connect to the router and my netflix login name. It doesn't have youtube or hulu apps but it makes up for that by, oh gee I dunno, ACTUALLY WORKING CORRECTLY???!!

Anyway, long story short, avoid the samsung bluray player and go with the magnavox. I'm one happy customer.

-AZ

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
What was the model number of the Samsung? I know Costco has them but I forget the numbers.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Even though they get a bad rap because they're Best Buy's brand, I haven't had any problems with any Insignia wifi Blu-Ray players or TV's, going on six years.

Status
Not open for further replies.