WiFi Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcwallen

Hope this question is not inconsistant with the purpose of this group.
Have had both a Cisco and Netgear wireless router and neither gives good coverage within the house.
What solution would you recommend?
Have a Netgear WN2500Rp WiFi range extender but have not yet set it up. Will that increase my coverage and still retain data thru put?
Bob

cabletech

Lets start with this. Where is this wireless router located? If it is buryed under a lot of things, then you should expect poor coverage.

All wireless routers that I have and do work with will give you 150-200 ft coverage if not more, but they need to be in a fairly clear area.

I have my wireless setting on a coner of my desk and I can connect from the neighbors house 250ft away.

signal500

Premium Subscriber
Have had both a Cisco and Netgear wireless router and neither gives good coverage within the house.
Have a Netgear WN2500Rp WiFi range extender but have not yet set it up. Will that increase my coverage and still retain data thru put?
Bob
Location, location, location. I run a Netgear wireless router and have it located on top of a bookcase about 8 feet above the floor with nothing else around it and it gives great coverage in the house and also outside approximately 300 feet.

rcwallen

Thanks for the responses.

The router is about 4 feet off the floor, it is about 1 ft from the back wall but don't need coverage in that direction. No real clutter around it. One area that was really bad was the kitchen which is not line-of-sight (well, I mean to say that there are intervening walls including a staircase). Hove 3 ROKU boxes around the house and though they work the signal is "Fair" at best. Laptop on the kitchen table had practically zero level, most I could get was maybe 1 bar.

You notice I mention "had". Got off my lazy butt and hooked up the Netgear Range Extender last night after posting, was really easy to mate to the router. Surprise, surprise. The kitchen (truly line of sight from the extender) is now 4 to 5 bars. Success!

Really dumb not to use what I had, just have had such bad experiences with routers and modems (used to have to unplug one or both a couple of times a week) that I was skeptical.

Totally bad timing. My daughter took her last exam at school yesterday so I'm closing the gate after the horse is out. Procrastication on my part.

Bob

rapidcharger

Glad you got it up and running.

I just put up a commercial outdoor wifi access point that'll do 26dbm (400mW) output about 45 feet up and it has a strong signal not only throughout my whole house but almost the entire neighborhood and even outside the neighborhood. Basically it gets a great signal up until the point the signal is blocked by hills. When I drive back home my smart phone will reconnect to the network before I even turn into the neighborhood. wifi is fun!

davedaver1

Why do you flood the neighborhood with your wifi? You just cause co-channel interference for everyone nearby for no reasonable reason.

I run a 2 mile link off some commercial Netgear B/G APs.

Antennas are cheaper than amps and often can yield just as good of results. Known plenty of hams that run 8-20 mile links on 250 mW of power out of 2.4GHz. I have a 2W USB adapter but haven't played with it much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtp

sounds like my old problem

we had wifi in the master bedroom everyone in the house had great reception except one computer in ne bedroom. it took some thought but i realized that the fridge was in the way. we moved the antenna on the computer up a few feet and went from 1 to 4 bars. the other way would have been to move the computer to the other side of the room.
you say a laptop in the kitchen could a stove or fridge be in line of sight?
ok another way would be 100 feet of cat 5 from the first router to the middle of the house (attic maybe) to the other wireless on a different frequency?

KB0VWG

A microwave will cause Havoc on wifi networks if its in between the router and the clients. Microwave use the same band as your 2.4Ghz router.. So when the Micro is on you might see some interference, Unless all your devices are on 5Ghz band.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

James_Bond_007

Premium Subscriber
it's a little more expensive but 900 MHz works best so long as you don't have any 900 MHz ham repeaters in the area. 5GHz is the next best. 2.4 GHz is too full of garbage as one poster stated. thing is 5GHz wavelength is even shorter and it is more susceptible to terrain blocking from building and trees. Be nice if they opened up a slice of 700 mhz for license free wifi. it's away from ham repeaters and a lower frequency than 900 MHz better NLOS performance. but i know we can wish in one hand and cr*p in the other on that one.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Bob
From a security aspect - I do not trust Wi-Fi.

But that is just me.

FF - Medic !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.