WiFi Signal Booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtc199

I'm installing my 536hp in my car and am a little disappointed with the signal strength of the dongle, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can boost the strength? Maybe a portable AP or router?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You're expecting too much. The car body will block most wifi signals from getting out of the car.

If you want to pick up signal outside the car, you'd have to hack the dongle to connect it an external antenna mounted outside the vehicle.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I'm installing my 536hp in my car and am a little disappointed with the signal strength of the dongle, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can boost the strength? Maybe a portable AP or router?

Dongle is on a USB cable. Not sure how long without finding mine. Mount on dash like GPS puck or at least above the bottom of the windows getting out of the metal bucket shield of the car body.

Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I suspect that by the time one ended up purchasing all the stuff needed to create such a thing, the cost would be approaching that of a portable scanner.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It was suggested on another thread that a Microtic wireless router could replicate the dangle. Not sure how you would program this, but a router with external antennas would likely give you 200 to 300 feet range.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I suspect that by the time one ended up purchasing all the stuff needed to create such a thing, the cost would be approaching that of a portable scanner.

An excellent point, and good reason not to bother. Another consideration is that if you boost the Bluetooth/WiFi signal significantly, it's more likely to interfere with signals you're trying to scan.

JamesO

This would not be so difficult. You would need 2 routers. You would need to know how to wire them together and to configure and program them.

One would be a router that you could connect and external antenna and mount somewhere on the vehicle or you could possibly put it on the rear shelf.

I would use a open source firmware for the 2nd router so you could tweak the output power of the router.

This would also be such a simple thing if Uniden would offer a hardwired dongle, then a single router could be used with much better reliability and performance.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This would not be so difficult. You would need 2 routers. You would need to know how to wire them together and to configure and program them.

Which puts the difficulty of the endeavor way outside what most people are willing to attempt.As someone with more than 20 years of experience in the IT field, I could do it, but don't plan on bothering because of the hassle that it would be, especially if aftermarket / custom firmware is required. If you assign any value to your time, you're going to be far better off in terms of expenditure of effort by simply getting a 436HP (Amazon Warehouse Deals has them for around $360, like-new units returned by people who found them too complex) and a decent HT antenna, rather than kludging together a pair of WiFi access points in your vehicle, mounting an additional antenna to the vehicle roof, etc.

JamesO

Which puts the difficulty of the endeavor way outside what most people are willing to attempt.As someone with more than 20 years of experience in the IT field, I could do it, but don't plan on bothering because of the hassle that it would be, especially if aftermarket / custom firmware is required. If you assign any value to your time, you're going to be far better off in terms of expenditure of effort by simply getting a 436HP (Amazon Warehouse Deals has them for around $360, like-new units returned by people who found them too complex) and a decent HT antenna, rather than kludging together a pair of WiFi access points in your vehicle, mounting an additional antenna to the vehicle roof, etc.

It is really not that difficult, even a novice can spend some time online doing research. In doing this they will likely learn and or improve a skill set that will become very valuable on a day in and day out basis dealing with all the networked items in their home.

We do not know the full reason and need of the OP to want to extend the reach if the 536HP mounted in a vehicle, but it may be worth it depending on the application for the OP to attempt this.

Open source firmware installation is routers is COMMONPLACE these days, it quite often is more stable, more reliable and more flexible than the crappy firmware that ships with sub $150 networking devices.

So before you shot down what I offered up, look at it as an option if someone chooses to take this approach. It is not for you or I to decide what direction the OP chooses to take and why.

Nobody that spends any time here on this forum or other forums really "values" their time. This is a hobby for some, a learning experience for others and some are in the industry and like to share their knowledge or learn some new things.

Status
Not open for further replies.