Wiki buttons on the state pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For the longest time now, I've noticed that although we've got buttons to go to the wiki on the county pages, they are totally missing on the state pages. We have very extensive state data that could be linked here.

And while we're at it, here's a thought - how about a button to go to the wiki FTO and RID categories for that state? It would certainly make it more visible and easier to find.

Mike

QDP2012

For the longest time now, I've noticed that although we've got buttons to go to the wiki on the county pages, they are totally missing on the state pages. We have very extensive state data that could be linked here

I was looking for that kind of a button a few days ago. It would have several navigation steps. It may take a while to modify the DB site to handle this. I don't know. Since all states have a "state" Wiki page (with a predictable name), it would seem to be a feature that would have very few "page not found" or "click here to create Wiki page" messages.

... - how about a button to go to the wiki FTO and RID categories for that state? It would certainly make it more visible and easier to find.

This might be a little more challenging to implement. I'm not sure each state has an FTO category and/or an RID category. I haven't taken the time to check to see if each exists yet or not, nor if the page-naming is consistent across the Wiki. Generally, I wouldn't have a use for these, but I can see how others might.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A state button having 'several navigation steps'?? Nope, don't think so. Just copy the wiki button code from one of the county pages and insert the state URL.

We have something akin to this on this page, in the 'Regions Covered' section. Just click on the state name and away you go. Assigning a button to a URL should be just as simple (I worked with folks that put together Java driven websites for almost 10 years...).

Capitol Hill Monitors Scanner Radio Homepage

Unfortunately we don't quite have FTO or RID info on every state - yet. But for those that do, to me it would be useful. The buttons for these could be greyed out if that state doesn't have anything for these 2 categories - and if someone were to put something together, the change is pretty minor, since the button is already there.

There's plenty of room on the line that has 'State of <statename> Radio Reference' on the right, just like the county pages have it. And frankly, just from a db perspective, it's inconsistent not having the 4 buttons on the right that the county pages do missing from the state page.

Yeah, it's probably another one in the 'wishful thinking' category, but hey it's worth a shot...

Mike

Last edited:

QDP2012

I was looking for that kind of a button a few days ago. It would have avoided several navigation steps.

Correction above...a word was missing. Copy-paste did not happen correctly earlier.

Last edited:

QDP2012

I'm not sure when they were added, but I just noticed that there are now "Wiki" buttons on the RRDB's state-pages.

Thank you to all involved.

EDIT
One minor thing I noticed is that in the URLs attached to the "Wiki"-buttons there is a space missing between the state-name and the left-parenthesis, as the standard page-naming convention for the Wiki includes a space.
Code:
Nebraska(US) is the old-style
Nebraska (US) is the current style.

Currently, the old-style names are redirected to the current style names. If we can get everything updated to the current style, we might be able to remove at least fifty redirects from the system.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, how about that - Jedi Magic, hi - a comment to Lindsay and (thanks to him) it happened...Mike

QDP2012

Yeah, how about that - Jedi Magic, hi - a comment to Lindsay and (thanks to him) it happened...Mike

I don't know if it is the correct procedure, but I just reported my post above as a follow-up request to insert the missing space before the left-parenthesis, so that the links match the current Wiki page-naming standard, and do not rely upon the old-format redirects.

Hope this helps,

Status
Not open for further replies.