Wiki on how to scan the unknown

belvdr

No longer interested in living
It was requested in another thread for advice on scanning the unknown. I'd love to see these entered into the wiki, so newbies (including myself) can learn how to use their SDR or scanner to find new, interesting things. I don't mind doing the legwork of entering into the wiki if someone has notes they are willing to send my way. I'll likely need help from a wiki expert, as I have only updated entries, not entered new ones.

Anyone willing to offer up documentation on how to scan for the unknown, regardless of mode? Also, if the wiki admins don't want this entered, that's fine too, but I'd love to capture the notes here for personal use.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@belvdr
There is a lot of information out there, a quick search in the Radioreference.com search box (top right) returns thousands of wiki articles, forum posts, and other information. Will adding another Wiki article help when most people don't utilize the search function and just rely on others to spoon feed them the info?

Here are just a few examples when I ran a search "finding new frequencies".

belvdr

@belvdr
There is a lot of information out there, a quick search in the Radioreference.com search box (top right) returns thousands of wiki articles, forum posts, and other information. Will adding another Wiki article help when most people don't utilize the search function and just rely on others to spoon feed them the info?

Here are just a few examples when I ran a search "finding new frequencies".

The entire point is to consolidate the info into the wiki instead of scouring thousands of posts. I don't consider that spoon feeding. Many of the results from that search aren't even geared toward finding unknown RF data.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The entire point is to consolidate the info into the wiki instead of scouring thousands of posts. I don't consider that spoon feeding. Many of the results from that search aren't even geared toward finding unknown RF data.

Not opposed to a Wiki article, nor saying having a wiki article is spoon feeding anyone. I think it is a great idea, but my point is the info you asked about to help you write a wiki article is already online in the forums, in the wiki, from Scanner Guys YouTube vids and Scanner School podcasts, also a large number of people won't take the time to look for the new wiki article, they'll continue to ask in the forums unfortunately.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Anyone willing to offer up documentation on how to scan for the unknown, regardless of mode? Also, if the wiki admins don't want this entered, that's fine too, but I'd love to capture the notes here for personal use.
Just tune around. Utilize your scanner's custom search or limit search functionality, I do regular VHF & UHF scans for new (or new to me) stations around me or wherever I may be with my radios. Log & compare hits you receive to what has already been identified in the DB. Take note of the hits that haven't been ID'ed. I keep a detailed Google Sheet so I can log hits easily "on the fly". You can use Radioreference FCC search to identify stations on that particular frequency within range to you to help you narrow down possibilities. I also use maprad.io for its advanced search functionality (Good for partial callsigns, emissions searches, GPS coordinates searches, etc) If you're lucky and catch the station ID its callsign, this will help you confirm who you're hearing (not every station IDs over the air). This is when it pays to know some morse code (at least know the numbers). Once you're confident who the station is & the frequency's primary use, remember to submit your findings to the database. Happy signal hunting!

belvdr

Just tune around. Utilize your scanner's custom search or limit search functionality, I do regular VHF & UHF scans for new (or new to me) stations around me or wherever I may be with my radios. Log & compare hits you receive to what has already been identified in the DB. Take note of the hits that haven't been ID'ed. I keep a detailed Google Sheet so I can log hits easily "on the fly". You can use Radioreference FCC search to identify stations on that particular frequency within range to you to help you narrow down possibilities. I also use maprad.io for its advanced search functionality (Good for partial callsigns, emissions searches, GPS coordinates searches, etc) If you're lucky and catch the station ID its callsign, this will help you confirm who you're hearing (not every station IDs over the air). This is when it pays to know some morse code (at least know the numbers). Once you're confident who the station is & the frequency's primary use, remember to submit your findings to the database. Happy signal hunting!
Great thoughts. The "tune around" piece is what I was hoping to document. For example, if you're hunting DMR, how do you execute that on an SDR compared to another scanner? Thanks for the input!

belvdr

DSDPlus is one way to do it. See forum threads with DSDPlus prefix here.
Right, and that's why I'm asking if there's interest in wiki articles. Rather than research a bunch of threads, does it make sense to have a few HOWTOs in the wiki, which gives a beginner, like myself, the ability to read a document and get up and running.

Speaking personally, I'd rather have a quick HOWTO to get me started, then I can research and/or ask questions in the forums.

ecps92

Right, and that's why I'm asking if there's interest in wiki articles. Rather than research a bunch of threads, does it make sense to have a few HOWTOs in the wiki, which gives a beginner, like myself, the ability to read a document and get up and running.

Speaking personally, I'd rather have a quick HOWTO to get me started, then I can research and/or ask questions in the forums.
Searching by Scanner is entirely different from SDR

Scanner, break the search spectrum up into chunks of 1-5 mhz, don't skip over inputs as they can be used simplex as well
IS your area T-Band approved ? don't ignore 470-512

What are you looking for FED?, Business, Public Safety?
Does your radio do the various other modes ? DMR, P25, NXDN?

belvdr

Searching by Scanner is entirely different from SDR
Yes, I know that.
Scanner, break the search spectrum up into chunks of 1-5 mhz, don't skip over inputs as they can be used simplex as well
IS your area T-Band approved ? don't ignore 470-512
No idea about if it's T-band approved. How would I find that out?
What are you looking for FED?, Business, Public Safety?
Does your radio do the various other modes ? DMR, P25, NXDN?
Any/all. For me, I have an SDS200 and an AirSpy R2.

I feel like my point may be missed. All of these questions are why I think wiki articles would be of importance. In essence, a library of HOWTOs to get someone up and running to scan for DMR, FM, P25, etc using various radios and/or scanners.

ecps92

Yes, I know that.
No idea about if it's T-band approved. How would I find that out?
Any/all. For me, I have an SDS200 and an AirSpy R2.

I feel like my point may be missed. All of these questions are why I think wiki articles would be of importance. In essence, a library of HOWTOs to get someone up and running to scan for DMR, FM, P25, etc using various radios and/or scanners.