Wikileaks publishes 9/11 Pager Intercepts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is not so different from the nonsense that got the late Bill Cheek into so much trouble. 73 Mike

SCPD

QRT
Wikileaks is publishing POCSAG and FLEX pager intercepts from 9/11. Interestingly enough, it looks like someone put a lot of time and effort to intercept and archive all national network's pages.

9/11 Pager data

The intercepts happened 7 years ago so the Federal Statute of limitations prevents any prosecution of the person that intercepted the pages. Most likely a foreign national is responsible for publishing the item on wikileaks since they would not be subject to US laws.
Besides most pagers have now been replaced by text messaging, so I don't think there will be an uproar by pager users from 8 years ago.

Code_Brown

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Its a program called PDW. It works well. Those pages are crap really nothing to look at.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"This is not so different from the nonsense that got the late Bill Cheek into so much trouble."

That really struck a nerve being I knew the man from our correspondence which of course made me quite familiar with his efforts to decode encryption, (his last project in the works yet unpublished and never was) his troubles with the law and his last days on Earth. What really irked all of us was the fact that he would have to travel clear across the continent to appear in court at Cadman Plaza in Brooklyn, New York, that's really bustin' the bees. We discussed directions how to get there even, I became rather personally involved so to speak. It was one of the saddest times of my life when I learned he passed on short of the court appearance, I had lost another friend.

Sorry to digress and go off topic but some things just need to be said, one is it pains me deeply every time I read about someone here just busting at the seams over encryption. Too bad they lack my experience in the matter, when it comes to education sometimes pain works better than words that seem to be lost on some of them.

http://forums.radioreference.com/581164-post34.html

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
"This is not so different from the nonsense that got the late Bill Cheek into so much trouble."

Sorry to digress and go off topic but some things just need to be said, one is it pains me deeply every time I read about someone here just busting at the seams over encryption. Too bad they lack my experience in the matter, when it comes to education sometimes pain works better than words that seem to be lost on some of them.

http://forums.radioreference.com/581164-post34.html

Agreed. Bill was a friend of mine also. Worked with him on the development of
the CE-232 and exchanged phone calls conserning the government dealings.
Many memories of one hell of a nice guy.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I just read a lot of those pages...some are funny and some are very eerie. It's weird to see how some people just took it as "Ohh well" and others really got what was going on. The ones that were creepy were the ones asking for someone to call to see if they were OK; made you wonder how many you read that never called or even got the page.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I was pointed to this from another site/person earlier today. I found it interesting and a little eerie. There's a page right at 8:46:46 of a server not responding at Cantor Fitzgerald. :eek:

D

DaveNF2G

Most likely a foreign national is responsible for publishing the item on wikileaks since they would not be subject to US laws.

As if all U.S. nationals have respect for the laws about interception of paging, cellphones, etc. Have you read the forums here?

:roll:

N0YFE

Pager Traffic

One of the things we learned long ago was that pager traffic was easy to receive and grab since many of the companies used basic transmitting protocols. My guess is that this traffic was pulled off the same Sat feed because it has the address code for the pager company also. I'm going to guess that many of them share the same transponder now and I know a few have land line backup finally. I don't remember how long ago it was when the old Sat failed and pager traffic was crippled until they could get all the transmitter sites moved to the new Sat transponder.

I haven't read though too much but wow, you can see how many areas of business and govt ramped up soon after to meet the disaster that was evolving.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
It seems like there weren't many "regular people" using pagers -- is this true? Seems like all IT support personnel, news media, and government employees on these pages. Very little of "regular people" traffic from what I've seen. I remember having a pager for a brief while in middle school, but I don't remember how common they were in 2001.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
This is not so different from the nonsense that got the late Bill Cheek into so much trouble. 73 Mike

And that wasn't even Bill's doing.....

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This is a nationwide dump of messages...I see several references to WTVD 11 which is the ABC affiliate here in central NC. If you convert the txt file to word document (doc) it takes up about 14,xxx plus pages.
And as others have commented some of the pages are quite interesting.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.