• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wild Unication Idea Of The Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I was thinking how nice it would be if the Unication G4/G5 could automatically switch sites based on location like a subscriber radio on a statewide system, either by GPS or other means. Has that idea ever been kicked around here?

JASII

Memory Capacity
I will have to check and see what the maximum number of control channels is that can be programmed into a system. If I were travelling through many counties, each of which has it own control channel, I could program it as Wildcard/Talkgroup Monitor and simply lockout and talkgroups that I don't want to hear as I travel.

trumpetman

Database Admin
256 for the max number of control channels I believe. Same for the number of sites you can alias. Once the pager has found an acceptable site it gets adjacent site numbers and control channels if it needs to roam from the neighbors list broadcast over the air. As long as you have a site wildcard it will automatically roam to whatever site it can.

Use the full spectrum control channel feature to search for CCs you may not have in your list when initially trying to detect the system.

JASII

Memory Capacity
256 for the max number of control channels I believe. Same for the number of sites you can alias. Once the pager has found an acceptable site it gets adjacent site numbers and control channels if it needs to roam from the neighbors list broadcast over the air. As long as you have a site wildcard it will automatically roam to whatever site it can.

Use the full spectrum control channel feature to search for CCs you may not have in your list when initially trying to detect the system.

Thank you for the reply. I may have to give that a whirl. In the case of a large, statewide system, it would be interesting to see if any frequencies are used more than once as a control channel for the system. If they are, then there might be a greater chance to have all frequencies used as control channels programmed in for a statewide system.

I suppose the alternative would be to count the total number of control channels and split a statewide system into smaller pieces, for example, north, south, etc. Also, one would have to decide how to deal with alternate control channels. To not program them runs the risk of a site switching and the user missing traffic.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I can almost guarantee that frequencies are reused. For all of my statewide programming I have about a dozen of my nearest sites primary and alternate CCs and then have full spectrum turned on. If I'm out of my usual area and don't hear any of the 12 CCs I have listed it will automatically start searching the entire spectrum I dictate (769-775 & 851-861) for any control channels that are apart of the system. That saves me from having a lot of CCs to keep up with and wasting time searching 200+ freqs when it could just quickly search the band and find whatever is out there.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
I will have to check and see what the maximum number of control channels is that can be programmed into a system. If I were travelling through many counties, each of which has it own control channel, I could program it as Wildcard/Talkgroup Monitor and simply lockout and talkgroups that I don't want to hear as I travel.

Good idea! To bad they don't have the Trunking Free Scan that was in 1.4 beta then you could do everything by county and not have to change zones as often.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking how nice it would be if the Unication G4/G5 could automatically switch sites based on location like a subscriber radio on a statewide system, either by GPS or other means. Has that idea ever been kicked around here?
I suppose if we’re getting “wild” about ideas, they could have their phone app talk to the radio through Bluetooth and use the Location info from the phone to automatically switch sites and other things....

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I have entire State P25 trunked systems in my G5. For example, GA SEGARRN, SC Palmetto, NC Viper, etc. I then have every State Police talkgroup covering I-95 through those States set to one knob position. I also have all the site control and alternate frequencies for the sites that cover I-95. I then named the Zone I-95. I can literally start at the FL/GA line at knob position 1 and not have to touch it until I get to the GA/SC line and it will switch sites along the way automatically. Then I switch one click to knob position 2 and I’m on Palmetto and good all through SC. Knob position 3 for Viper in NC, etc etc.

Note that the Unication roams between sites a little different than a subscriber. A subscriber is constantly sampling RSSI. A Unication locks on to a site initially based upon RSSI but they holds that site until BER hits a certain threshold, then will switch sites based looking for RSSI threshold is met, hold until BER, etc. I find the Unication will usually hold a site a bit longer than my APX subscribers (where a better site may be available), but it still has a signal so it’s still chatting away.

And yes you can program it to hold on a site, but you have to get creative with the programming and program the site as it’s own system. I do that on NJICS where certain sites always carry certain talkgroups that I wish to monitor. Obviously I have to be in range of that site.

As far as being able to force traffic on to a site, not going to happen. The Unication does not affiliate so in simple terms the site has no idea it exists. Just like a scanner. Even with my valid subscriber, when I’m scanning multiple Talkgroups, unless a radio is affiliated (or carried on that site full time through system programming parameters), Im not hearing anything on that talkgroup if no radio is there. It’s a way of unnecessarily using system resources. Unless of course I change to that talkgroup and affiliate.

JASII

Memory Capacity

I programmed in Full Spectrum and that, along with Block(Blok), should work pretty well for my travelling around my state.

Thanks for the tip!

JASII

Memory Capacity
I was on a road trip yesterday many counties away from my home. I did try Full Spectrum Scan and I am pleased at how well it performed.

The other thing I did was add TGID Alias Names for the State Patrol Dispatch and County Sheriff Main Dispatch for a bit over half of the counties. Granted, it would be great to have more, but usually when I am in less populated areas, the majority of the radio traffic seems top come from the County Sheriff Main Dispatch Talk Group and State Patrol Dispatch Talk Group.

Last edited:

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Unless I don’t know about it, a volume offset feature

Status
Not open for further replies.