Wildcard Or Talkgroops

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1

Premium Subscriber
My Question Today Is .since I Have Four Trunked Systems Programmed In To My Psr500 ,using My Arc500 Software All Seems To Be As It Should .however Since I Am New To Having A Scanner That I Can Tweek For Maximum Performance ,should I Load The Trunked Systems With The Talk Groops Or Should I Use The Wildcard Setting And If I Use The Wildcard Setting How Do I Do That With The Arc500 Software ? Thanks Paul1

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
If you add a wildcard you will hear all talkgroups not just the talkgroups that your programmed.
To set a wildcard in ARC500 add a talkgroup to the system and enter * in the Talkgroup ID column.
Also the latest version of ARC500 automatically adds a wildcard when you add a new system.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

paul1

Premium Subscriber
THANKS FOR THE INFO BUT I AM STILL CONFUSED ,I HAVE 156 TALKGROOPS PROGRAMMED DIRECTLY FROM THE RR DATABASE FOR THE SYSTEMS I AM MONOTORING. wOULD IT BE BETTER TO USE THE WILDCARD OR THE INDIVIGIAL TALKGROOPS ?
BECAUSE I AM BELIEVING THAT THE WILDCARD USSES LESS OF THE RADIO'S RESOURCES.AND WOULD THIS HELP WITH POWER DRAIN ON THE BATTERIES? PAUL1

LEH

Premium Subscriber
THANKS FOR THE INFO BUT I AM STILL CONFUSED ,I HAVE 156 TALKGROOPS PROGRAMMED DIRECTLY FROM THE RR DATABASE FOR THE SYSTEMS I AM MONOTORING. wOULD IT BE BETTER TO USE THE WILDCARD OR THE INDIVIGIAL TALKGROOPS ?
BECAUSE I AM BELIEVING THAT THE WILDCARD USSES LESS OF THE RADIO'S RESOURCES.AND WOULD THIS HELP WITH POWER DRAIN ON THE BATTERIES? PAUL1

1. You don't need to SHOUT (or capitalize every word when you aren't which makes reading your posts rather difficult too).

2. How many total talk groups are on the system you are monitoring and do you want to know which is which? Importing from the data base, you will get alpha tags when a specific talk group is picked up. Deleting those and going with a wildcard will just give you the TGID number, but nothing else.

How many of the 156 talkgroups do you really listen to? If there are things like road repair, the dog catcher, or school buses (unless you have a kid who acts up on the bus) you might not want to listen to, remove them.

I seriously doubt you will see any significant difference in power drain between the two. Now you will use more memory by including specific talk groups.

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Ok ! I apoligise for the caps its a bad habbit ive acquired over the years ,I am a MACHINIST not someone who regurlary uses the keyboard and I tend to think of words as just letters, caps or not has not been very important to me . Not like the degree that accuracy and proper fit that is required in my occupation. thanks and please bear with me fellas. I will try to watch the caps in the future. thanks for the info and your interest. Paul1

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
When you use the wildcard you will hear all activity, by programming specific talkgroups you only hear the talkgroups you programmed.
Also when using talkgroups you can 'lockout' specific talkgroups that you don't want to hear.

I don't think that using less memory resourses increases the battery performance.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

Status
Not open for further replies.