Wildcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

swann3030

I have searched the Wiki's, forums, easier to read manual..etc. I am having a hard time understanding what Wildcards are.
I am using RR database and Win500 to program my truncket systems (all programming for that matter).
Do I need to be concerned with wildcards? Can someone please help this noob out?

Thanks

RKG

1) I don't upload from websites, so I can't tell you anything about how wildcards might be embedded in uploaded files.

2) In general, a "wildcard" placed in a scan list of talkgroups on a trunked system will follow a channel grant for any talkgroup on that system. As an option, you can cause the wildcard to ignore any other specifically programmed talkgroup, so that the specific talkgroup shows up at the specific and not as a wildcard response. Likewise, if you "lock out" a list of specific talkgroups, the wildcard will only stop on something you don't already have.

grecomrr

Wildcards may be a good way to find talk groups on a trunk system
but I have tried and I cant do it, you must have more info than just adding
it to a scan list, it kills what I normally hear in that scanlist, just sticking
it in its own scanlist doesnt work either.
yes I know I am missing something but have read every thing I
can .......... no luck

poppafred

When I imported the system from RRef, I just checked the box that added a wild card.

Download the current file from the scanner. Then you select an existing system in the TSYS Objects tab and scroll down to the last object.
Right click that talk group and select "New Item At End".
When that object appears, it should be a group wildcard. Don't change it, leave it just the way it is.
Save the file under a different name than the original in case it doesn't work right.
Upload the file to the scanner.

That should get it working.

I edited my wildcard to flash the LED in white and beep. That way, the scanner gets my attention when something new pops up.
While the channel is active, hit store. If you miss it, before another channel goes active, hit manual or "MAN" to lock onto the last active channel.
If you miss it, you have to wait until it goes active again.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Are you trying to program this by hand or using WIN500?

When you add a TG in the TG window of WIN500, it adds a Wildcard TG by default. You can easily change it into a private TG as well.

Wildcards enable you to receive TGs or private calls which are not programmed with that TSYS. It's kind of like scanning in OPEN mode of older GRE scanners or "ID Search" mode of Unidens.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
ARC 500 Wildcards?

I've searched the ARC 500 thread for the procedure of adding Wildcards, but found nothing. I am trying to understand how to program Wildcards into ARC 500 on a Pro-106 or PSR 500. I would appreciate some feedback.

Last edited:

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
When I imported the system from RRef, I just checked the box that added a wild card.

Download the current file from the scanner. Then you select an existing system in the TSYS Objects tab and scroll down to the last object.
Right click that talk group and select "New Item At End".
When that object appears, it should be a group wildcard. Don't change it, leave it just the way it is.
Save the file under a different name than the original in case it doesn't work right.
Upload the file to the scanner.

That should get it working.

I edited my wildcard to flash the LED in white and beep. That way, the scanner gets my attention when something new pops up.
While the channel is active, hit store. If you miss it, before another channel goes active, hit manual or "MAN" to lock onto the last active channel.
If you miss it, you have to wait until it goes active again.

Nice callsign, Fred!

rwier

I've searched the ARC 500 thread for the procedure of adding Wildcards, but found nothing. I am trying to understand how to program Wildcards into ARC 500 on a Pro-106 or PSR 500. I would appreciate some feedback.

I find the documentation of the "wildcard" features for both the 500 and the 800 to be, for all practical purposes, non-existent. As an example, a search of the PDF User Manual for the 800 for "wild" returns a single entry, and it is in reference to the "weather options."

RomeRon

A search in ARC500 help file, I found this.

V1.06 (April ’08):
- increased VC refresh rate

- adding new trunk sys automatically adds wildcard

- All Scanlists are On by default
- custom tables check
- fixed NAC import problem

They are better at writing software code to create the program than they are trying to explain how it works, that part is over their heads. so it seems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.