Wildland Fire Yuba County

Status
Not open for further replies.

northzone

Premium Subscriber
450 acre wildland fire currently burning near Dobbins eastern Yuba county (Oregon Peak)

Frequencies is use:
Command CDF CMD 1 151.355
Tac CDF Tac 2 151.1600
Tac CDF Tac 5 151.2500
Air/Gnd 151.2200
Air Tactics AirTac 4 151.2800
Some use of NEU local net 151.325
Some traffic on Foothill fire 155.985

Very Large air show today, 5 tankers to start again at 0900 in the morning

sac-emt

Sacramento Metro Fire Copter1 Called Up to Assist

northzone said:
450 acre wildland fire currently burning near Dobbins eastern Yuba county (Oregon Peak)

Frequencies is use:
Command CDF CMD 1 151.355
Tac CDF Tac 2 151.1600
Tac CDF Tac 5 151.2500
Air/Gnd 151.2200
Air Tactics AirTac 4 151.2800
Some use of NEU local net 151.325
Some traffic on Foothill fire 155.985

Very Large air show today, 5 tankers to start again at 0900 in the morning

Sacramento Metro Fire Copter1 was assigned to assist. They were warned to watch for heavy air traffic in the area.

I originaly heard about the fire from News 10s News Desk to the Helicopter prior to Copter1's dispatch out to provide support.

BirkenVogt

I was on this fire from about 1900 yesterday to 0900 today (water tender, didn't do a d$#n thing yesterday). On my "day off" now, but sitting back at the fire department as it is my regular day helping out. I will be going back at 0500 tomorrow morning, hopefully they will have some work for me this time.

Anyway the Metro Copter 1 broke down, I don't think it got to do any work on the fire. They generally do not like to send it out of the area but have been doing it more lately.

Also Channel 3 news was there with their new helicopter, they sure love to fly that thing lately.

The fire was burning up the side of Oregon Peak which is a big radio site for CDF, Yuba County, and commercial. The radio vaults are all constructed such that I don't think a fire would do more than minimal damage. But they did evacuate the lookout from the tower. Though the fire did not bump the mountaintop after all, it turned more northerly. I think the lookout was the first report on the fire, good job to him. I saw it on the news this evening and also drove past the origin the past two days, the first part of the fire really took off straight up the hill with the wind behind it.

Anyway I got to go to bed now to get up there on time. An hour's drive from the station here.

Birken

sac-emt

Metro's Copter1

When I got to work this morning, I did a run report for Copter1 to check their status at the fire and saw that they had some issues.

BirkenVogt

I'm back, been up for 17 hours now, bedtime. As far as radio goes a pretty boring fire really.

One thing to note. Initially they tried to use CDF command 2 which has a repeater right on the mountain the fire was burning up (Oregon Peak). However due to two issues it was not usable so they ended up using Banner Mountain (command 1) which is a long ways off. But it worked ok because the fire being so high on Oregon Ridge it got out everywhere. And there was all sorts of nuisance traffic you could hear on the different channels at the same time at different times of day.

Anyway the reason command 2 did not work even though it was so close it was actually threatened by the fire, is two fold. First off there is a repeater that intermittently, but frequently, throws a dead carrier and has been for years at all times, summer and winter. Is there anybody at state DGS reading this? It might be a good thing to track down and fix. You don't have to listen too long to hear it.

Second, when you are high up on a ridge and key up command 1 or 2, often (maybe even usually) you will be hitting more than one repeater with that tone since they were all put in place back when there were only 8 tones. For instance command 2, tone 2 does Oregon Peak but I think it also was hitting Mt Zion, and possibly Mt Jackson or South Fork. All these repeaters keyed at the same time interfere and make it totally unusable. This also happens when they have a fire in Placer County and try to use command 2 tone 4 or 5. So basically the only one usable in this area is command 1 tone 4 off Banner. If your fire is not in that area communications will be pretty bad usually. It would not be too hard to fix this by reassigning tones 9-15 to these repeaters instead of only 1-8, so that their coverage does not overlap so badly. Again, is there anyone that can bend an ear at DGS. It has been this way for years here.

Birken

Status
Not open for further replies.