Will 2 loops work better than one

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

I have a terk am advantage I sent out. It didn't work at all I get it back today. I also have a box loop that works fairly well I was thinking if I used them together it might work. I admit I am a tinkerer not a tech so, if it's a waste of time and effort please, tell me

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

hfflunki

Sorry forgot to add one thing the box loop only gets from 850-to the end of the band would put the terk on one side radio in middle and box on the other side my question is will they interfere with one another

Last edited:

k9rzz

They won't 'interfere' with each other, but they may 'interact'.

Test: While listening to one loop, turn and adjust the other, or even take it away. Do you hear any difference to the station you're tuned to?

The BIG advantage of loops on MW is the ability to null stations. If both antennas are connected to the radio at the same time, then the second antenna will simply fill in that null.

What you could do is connect them via an antenna phaser (you can build your own easily enough) and use that combo to null stations, but that's a whole topic in itself. =:^]

hfflunki

There both inductance could I do this without a phaser it MA be tedious to tune them individually but I'm kinda cheap

hfflunki

Thanks this is awesome I'm getting Cleveland before dark clearly by nulling with the terk

k9rzz

Here's what you do.

Connect both loops to the same radio at the same time.

Tune into a station, say 1000khz, and peak loop A on that station.

Now, leave that alone and now just adjust loop B slowly to 1000khz. You should find a spot where you can phase that station into oblivion just by tuning loop B. If you can get a null, but not very deep, then try turning one or the other loop just a little.

The aim is to get the station at the same signal strength on both antennas (by rotating loops), but slightly out of phase from each other (by tuning).

You can also do this with a loop and a wire. The wire needs an RLC circuit that's resonant in the BC band (use a 365mmf cap and a loop stick antenna). Then you are tuning the loop, the LC tuner circuit, and adjusting the R (5k ohm potentiometer) to get the signal strengths the same.

All a lot easier if you have an S meter to watch.

Takes some practice but it WORKS! =:^]

(can do the same thing on FM BC with directional beams. Same principle)

Last edited:

hfflunki

Thanks tuned in kfab from Nebraska stays solid then drifts but it isn't good dxing until 9pm-5am unless you're running grayline

k9rzz

Stations will always fade. There is TONS of DX to be had all night long. Try working that loop to null local / semi-local stations to hear what's behind them.

hfflunki

Thanks for all your help it's been very informative and will be lucrative in dxing
73,dan

hfflunki

My hillbilly poor mans phasing station
gy7edyqe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.