Will 436/536 drain car battery if left on for a few hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
I'm on vacation in Orlando and I'm running trunk discovery. I want to leave my scanner running for about 10 hours so I can record audio and new ID's while at the parks. Will doing this kill my battery? I wanted to keep the 436 running from the hotel but that's not a good option.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Car battery should be just fine. If you want to minimize current draw, kill the backlight and turn down the volume.

SCPD

QRT
solar charger

Thanks UPMan. This will allow me to log more TG during operation hours.

Another nice thing would be to get a Solar powered charger for your car battery,I have one from an ex car dealer that plugs into my diagnostic port of my car.This way the battery doesnt go dead.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Just another point of reference: The AA batteries in the 436 last 6 hours or more. So, the incremental drain on a car battery would be pretty slight.

JamesO

I recall measuring the current draw on the 536HP and I do not have my notes handy, but I recall the units current draw was less than 200 mA, somewhere in the 160-180 mA range as I recall?

scottyhetzel

You can always buy a jump box and stuff it in the trunk, that way you don't have to bite your nails off. I like the solar idea. Buy a nice one and you can use it at airports too.

Status
Not open for further replies.