Will a 2M Ham antenna work with a scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleverin

I recently purchased a Comet mag mount antenna for my VX150 radio but have ended up not using it much. What I have found I really need is a scanner antenna for the car to use, I was wondering if the antenna I have would work if I get a BNC adapter to make it fit on the scanner. The place I bought it from has adapters that I could buy, but I know some radios don't work well with certain antennas. If I don't need another antenna I'd rather not buy one.

SAR923

Assuming that you want to mostly listen to VHF frequencies from about 140 MHz up to about 165 MHz, it will work very well. It will do a passable job on UHF frequencies as well. It won't work anywhere near as well on 800 but will still be OK as long as your within about 10 or so miles of the repeater. Low band from 30 to 50 MHz will be pretty much a lost cause.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I use mine for Scanner since not much activity on 2 meters and works fine long your not on low band or 800 as Sar pointed out above.

ridgescan

Assuming that you want to mostly listen to VHF frequencies from about 140 MHz up to about 165 MHz, it will work very well. It will do a passable job on UHF frequencies as well. It won't work anywhere near as well on 800 but will still be OK as long as your within about 10 or so miles of the repeater. Low band from 30 to 50 MHz will be pretty much a lost cause.
This guy nailed it...same for a base setup too. I'm running a 4-element VHF yagi on my roof and ditto:)

af5rn

You never know until you try. The two hi-band/2m antennae tested at this site actually fared pretty decent at low band and UHF, but results will vary wildly. It won't cost you anything to try. If it doesn't do what you want, you haven't lost anything.

Mick

It works very well for me on all bands, just an 18 inch whip on the rooftop. CHP works very well even on 39 and 42 MHz low band.

jleverin

Thanks for the input, I think I'll order the adapter and see how it does. I just hate the idea of spend 30-35 dollars for another antenna when I have a perfectly good one sitting around not being used. Only cost about $4 for the adapter.

Don_Burke

I use a Radio Shack two meter mag mount for scanning sometimes. It works very well on VHF high, not so much on UHF and is deaf as a post on VHF low and 800.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
heres a nice little antenna thats works good on all bands, especially 800, cheap too
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1190.html

Does it look the same in the photo as i ordered one years ago and the coils were more stretched out looking and i SWR'd it and the SWR's were real high on 2meters but was low on 163mhz. like i would be transmitting on 163mhz. And it was a lousy antenna compared to a decent quality antenna. Plus i had problems with rust inside the magnet and had to redo the connections inside and it's hard to fit it back together as the magnet is so small.

Eric Burris

Status
Not open for further replies.