will a amplified digital antenna hurt a scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nc28478

Premium Subscriber
will a amplified digital tv antenna hurt a scanner?

i tried it for a short time and the signal gain is great~18db from what the box has on it.

nc viper is amazing with it.

butttttttttttttttttttttttttt,

will it hurt my pro 106?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No, but there may be times you will find that images and other signals that don't belong show up in various places. This is a sign of overloading - and with the 106, it really shouldn't need 18db of gain. In addition you might find that weaker signals have just as much noise as signal - and with these el-cheapo amplifiers, it's probably par for the course.

Invest in a better (preferably outdoor if you can do it) antenna - in the long run it will serve you much better than using a wideband amp with 18db or so of raw gain.

73 Mike

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
First of all there is no such thing as a digital antenna, it exists only in the mind of marketing and gullible people who believe there is truth in adverting. Like Mike said the amplifier may cause some problems but the only way to know for sure is through usage, maybe it works, maybe it fails, it all depends on the RF environment. Oh and BTW if it would hurt your scanner it already has and the question you'd be asking is "How do I get the smoke back in?" (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.