Will a scanner work in my area?

KG4EMJ

Why do you need an outdoor antenna like that to monitor frequencies from <20 miles away? I use a rubber duckie style antenna on my TRX-1 and I pick up stuff from multiple counties.

Also, program the EMS and fire frequencies and 95% of the time you'll always know what's going on. Seems like most calls dispatched also call for EMS and/or fire so if you've got those programmed you'll still be in the loop even if PD is encrypted.

JackieL204

It’s good to hear your TRX-1 picks up like that. I don’t know if it’s hilly terrain or what but it’s hard to get any kind of signal here. Back when my Dad had an analog scanner it would not come in unless it was on the antenna. I still have that scanner antenna and simply thought the TRX-1would receive signals better with the antenna. Maybe it’s different with a digital scanner now.
I’m also putting up the tower to put a tv antenna on it. I am 65 miles from the nearest network stations (except PBS) and the antenna has to be on a tower with a booster to get over the air stations. Will having the TV antenna and scanner antenna on the same tower cause interference on the scanner antenna? I will try the TRX-1 without the antenna too. But since I already have the tower and scanner antenna, I wanted to hook it up to the tower. Have been undecided about putting up the tower just for the TV signal as I have satellite forTV channels . But Now there’s something close to 35-40+ over the air channels here and the satellite only offers a handful of those channels.

KC3ECJ

If it hasn't been mentioned, make sure the tower has well shielded coax going to it.

Makes a great deal of difference.

KG4EMJ

I will also mention this... you said you got the TRX-1 used, right? I too bought mine used. When I got it I noticed that reception was terrible. I sent it off to Whistler for repair and apparently the antenna connection inside the body of the radio had come loose. They soldered it back to spec and the radio now picks up everything. I live in a rural area and I can hear counties away from me. So if your TRX-1 won't pick up frequencies 20 miles or less away you may have the same issue.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
You might want to go to the Rohn tower site and look at the base recommendations for towers similar to the one you have. Yours appears to be considerably undersized.
BB