Will an amplifier damage my scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

This thing?
Yes, it will reduce the VHF signals if you got some strong pager or NOAA signals that could interfere.

If you do not need the 400-500MHz range, or do not want it to be so directive and more omni all around you, you can remove those two big wings at the back as well. They are only for enhance signal in one direction at the lower UHF band.

/Ubbe

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
The antenna seems to be perfect for scanner use. It has standard yagi elements and not any bow tie or butterfly elements to increase the frequency range down to 500MHz. All directory elements are focused at 700-800MHz and the dipole are for a lower UHF band. That long single element for 200MHz below that corner reflector can be removed if you do not need VHF reception.

I have one wideband antenna 80-700Mhz with an amplifier built into the antenna and that works great for most frequencies and doesn't need any extra filter or attenuator as it is designed to be connected directly to a tv or stereo tuner without overloading them.
View attachment 81928

/Ubbe

I assume you mounted it for vertical polarization rather than horizontal polarization in the photo.

TheFlyingPilot

MPSCS Newbie
I have been experimenting with placement, and the amplifier hasn't been giving me any troubles. I'll post a picture of my final setup once it's done and leave it open for suggestions - this is my first external antenna... Thanks for all the help!

I've gotta wait for an adapter part (the antenna uses F-Type, the scanner uses BNC), which is coming from China. Therefore has an estimated arrival of sometime in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.