will be near PHL airport for 2 weeks, what PD/FD to monitor?

billpritjr

Hello Folks

I will be staying in a hotel near PHL airport for a few weeks next month for work. I have looked at Radio Reference databases but am trying to determine what districts PHL airport lies in. It appears that the Police district is District 12, PSA 1, and Fire is "SW" sector/district.

With that said, does anyone have the recommended channels to monitor, for Police and Fire activity, non-airport (not the airport units)?

Am I correct to say these are the ones to monitor?

1100bDPPD S-WestSouth-West Division (12th. and 18th. Districts)Law Dispatch

147093DPPD 12th Tac12th. District TacticalLaw Tac

2390efDPFD South FireSouth Fire DispatchFire Dispatch

2430f3DPFD South MedicSouth EMS Dispatch (South Medic)EMS Dispatch

Thank you

Uniden SDS200 and Unication G4, if it matters.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Police and fire units assigned to the airport grounds operate on the airport talkgroups. The airport has its own dispatch center that handles incidents on airport grounds. TG 285 - PHL Emergency 1, would be my suggested addition to your list above.
The airport straddles the Philadelphia/Delaware County border. The area immediately west of the airport along I-95 in Delaware County would be PD sector 5 and fire channel 7.

Mophead

Premium Subscriber
PHL has some unique borders. Philadelphia AIRPORT police handle everything inside the fence line of the airfield and all of the terminal areas. The 12th district handles Island Ave, and Hog Island Road to the border almost near Fort Mifflin. From Fort Mifflin to Tinicum Island Rd, its the Tinicum Police department.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Openstreetmap.org is a good site to see municipal borders in southeastern PA. The city line is right west of Fort Mifflin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128_185551_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230128_185551_Chrome.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 27

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
Also you should be able to hear Delaware county police and fire. The 4th sector borders the airport area on one end and the 5th sector on the other. On Sector 4 Darby Police which are 47cars and Colwyn are 48 cars as well as Sharon Hill 61 cars and Folcroft 63 cars all border the airport and southwest Philadelphia. On Sector 5 tinicum 35 cars 36cars Ridley Park and Ridley Twp 31 cars. Fire wise County dispatch is 46.480 and Tinicum Twp Station 48 borders the airport and has responsibility for the hog island road part of the airport and the Ups terminal

captaincab

PHL has some unique borders. Philadelphia AIRPORT police handle everything inside the fence line of the airfield and all of the terminal areas. The 12th district handles Island Ave, and Hog Island Road to the border almost near Fort Mifflin. From Fort Mifflin to Tinicum Island Rd, its the Tinicum Police department.
Part of hog island where ups is located is Tinicum Twp for police and fire and Ems service.

KC3DYW

Phila PD if you listen to J band that is citywide broadcast, IE priority dispatch, robbery, shooting serious crimes etc, most of the police broadcast is in the clear, detective, narcotics are usually encrypted.

fire dept, dispatch is usually in the clear, most of fire service is encrypted, fireground comms could be clear or open, in any event south band fire is usually south of city hall and north band fire is usually north of city hall , FD has been known to frequently use south band over north band for whatever reasons.
The system is Motorola p25 type2 and is simulcast throughout the city , I believe there is 5 or more broadcast towers throughout the city, southwest and south is very close to the airport.

hope this helps, enjoy the stay and be safe👍👍

captaincab

Phila PD if you listen to J band that is citywide broadcast, IE priority dispatch, robbery, shooting serious crimes etc, most of the police broadcast is in the clear, detective, narcotics are usually encrypted.

fire dept, dispatch is usually in the clear, most of fire service is encrypted, fireground comms could be clear or open, in any event south band fire is usually south of city hall and north band fire is usually north of city hall , FD has been known to frequently use south band over north band for whatever reasons.
The system is Motorola p25 type2 and is simulcast throughout the city , I believe there is 5 or more broadcast towers throughout the city, southwest and south is very close to the airport.

hope this helps, enjoy the stay and be safe👍👍
The North and South divider is Leigh Avenue not city hall.

KC3DYW

Perhaps it was changed , if I remember correctly it was once broad st north and south ( city hall )
During Rizzo time