Will FAA change Squaw Valley VORDME id ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimvm

Due to political correctness the ski resort Squaw Valley is to be renamed to Palisades Tahoe.

There is a VORDME id 'SWR' 'Squaw Valley Resort' 113.2 MHz located on a high peak called
Squaw Peak.

Question for you is will the FAA bow to political correctness? Maybe change the id to something
like 'PAL' or 'PAT' ?

This not the Onion or Babylon Bee so I put this message in the California forums.

I'll stay tuned to find out.

jim vm

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
If the free market pressured Squaw Valley to change their name, then so be it. But if the VORDME is on the peak of Squaw Peak, and the peak name hasn't changed, I wouldn't be worried in such a change. And even if the peak changes their name in years to come, it'll probably take another year or more, or never, for a morse code ident to change. SWR is a pretty awesome ident, considering the RF geeks here.

f40ph

Feed Provider
The VOR isn't really in the public eye like the resort. My guess is the pressure won't be there to force a PC change.
Also, all the references I find for the VOR itself refer to it as "Squaw Valley, South Lk Tahoe", not "Squaw Valley Resort".

zob-slantzero

Premium Subscriber
With the FAA shutting down NAVAIDS nation-wide, what is the long term plan for SWR? If it is planned to be shut down then it wouldn't make any sense to change the identifier. But, then again FAA and (common) sense............................................

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
No, and Crazy Woman (CZI) won't change either.

I came here to make that joke (and the point about FAA shutting down VORs right and left). Just imagine the center controller that gets to say "cleared direct Crazy Woman..." 100 times per shift. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.