Will it Work ?

rufust

I have a D130 or D3000 discone mounted already for my scanner .If I was to replace the top coil with an X30 or X50 hooked to a radio would it work or would there be problems.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There's no way to properly connect it. The top coil on these antennas is just a whip that threads into the radiating element section of the discone, there wouldn't be a ground connection.

What would you be trying to accomplish with this?

rufust

I would make a bracket for the upper antenna and be running a separate cable.I am just trying to run 2 separate antennas without having to put another pole in.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I would make a bracket for the upper antenna and be running a separate cable.I am just trying to run 2 separate antennas without having to put another pole in.

OK, I was a bit confused by your first question. I was thinking you wanted to attach the feed point for the X50 to the point where the whip would attach on top of the discone.

If all you want to do is stack antennas on one pole, yes, that can be done. You'd want one antenna on top sticking up above the top of the support pole. You don't want the radiating element up against the pole as that will impact performance.

The discone could go down lower, but you'll probably want to fabricate a stand off to keep it away from the pole.

Ubbe

It's below the horizontal elements that are critical but above them are "dead space" and you can have anything there without disturbing the function of a discone, as long as you do not attach anything to the discone's "hot" part where the horizontal elements are connected.

/Ubbe